MiniDV tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1
New Boot

MiniDV tape

Iīv tried to find a test for miniDV tapes but couldnīt find any.
Can anybody tell me wich tape makes the best quality?
I just bought 50 Panasonic MasterQuality tapes (Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ)
They got to be good! Just want the best for my XL2
Thank You
Per Oellgaard
Per Oellgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM   #2
New Boot

DV Tape

Panasonic has come out with a new ADVANCED DV Tape AMQ 63.
They say it's better but I haven't had a chance to try it out.
PS
It's a lot more expensive.
Jimmy Bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #3
Fred Retread

I'm not saying that there are no differences in tapes at all. But bear in mind that large companies have teams of people who went to college and majored in a thing called marketing. They are not to be trifled with--they've figured out how to get us to pay $1.50 for a pint of ordinary water.

It's well known that the psychology of the buying public is such that there are segments of it that WANT to pay more and get the sense that they've put themselves ahead of the pack, or that they've spared no expense for their passion, or that Grandpa is smiling in Heaven because they are heeding his advice that you get what you pay for. And it's well known that this psychology was exploited in the past with "grades" of VHS tape.
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #4
New Boot

is the difference really that significant depending on the type of DV tape you use?
Ben Outerbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #5
New Boot

what I have seen

I have been using miniDV from Maxell, I am not sure if it would make a difference but I saw some of my footage on a Pioneer Elite HD plasma and it looked good. Maxell could be junk but the quality looked good to me.
Kipp Felice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Kipp, the quality of the DV tapes will not affect how the image looks, since it is a digital signal. In theory, higher quality tapes should offer a lower probability of drop-outs, and a longer shelf-life. Whether the incidence of dropouts is different between low-grade and high-grade tapes remains to be seen (at least for me). I've used about 50 of the cheaper Panasonic tapes with my GL2 since March, and never got a single drop-out.

I agree with Fred that it's more about marketing that anything else. I believe that drop-outs, if they occur, would be due to the equipment itself rather than the quality of the tapes (unless damaged). Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but I just don't see a reason for upgrading. It's like when a store-cleck tried to convince me to pay four times as much for optical and coaxial cables carrying my digital sound: as if digital drop-outs were going to occur over a 3-foot long cable...
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes I agree... as far as miniDV goes, image quality isn't (or shouldn't be) effected by the tape, because after all, in the end it's just ones and zeros to the camera and computer.

This is one of the things I've loved about DV -- not having to worry using just the right tape to get the image to look as good as it can.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #8
New Boot

Thank You all for the answers.
I donīt have to worry about my Master Quality tapes. They could have been cheeper, but what the ....
Per Oellgaard
Per Oellgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I might be wrong but I believe one of the other reasons to buy better quality master tapes is for the cassette mechanism itself that holds the tape being more robust. Seems if you are spending $500 on a shoot or more paying $3 more for a tape with enhanced reliability and longevity is worth it.... on the other hand, if tape constitute a major portion of your expenses on a given shoot then perhaps the standard consumer ones are just fine. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line