Cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cleaning

This maybe a strange question. Back in my audio days when we used to deal with old tape machines, both reel to reel and dat. When we cleaned our heads we never used the "cleaner tapes" we used the proper cleaning fluid with cleaning tips. Currently I use the cleaning tapes with my Cameras. Just because everyone seems to do it. Three questions; 1 Do these "cleaning tapes "damage your machines heads over time. 2. Is their a better way to clean them. 3. When you take your machine to Canon or whatever manufacturer do they use they tapes or do they use another method...Just wondering..If their is anyway to preserve the life of my machines heads and get an effective clean I would certainly be interested.
Darrin McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

The difference with video heads compared to audio heads is that video heads turn and a VERY fragile, you wouldn't want to put a swab to them. Audio tape heads are stationary and can stand a good swabbing (although DAT decks do have the rotating drums...).
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmmm

Thanks for the info, I guess that makes sense
Darrin McMillan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line