Mini-DV Question, Am I screwed??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1
New Boot

Mini-DV Question, Am I screwed???

I shot nearly two hours of footage for an amateur movie I'm doing. I did a no no and accidentally left the two mini-DV tapes in the car overnight. Now when I try to play them (not the camera I recorded them on), they play slow and with no sound.

Could there be another (fixable) source of the problem? I popped in a mini-DV that I taped on that camcorder and it worked.

Or am I just completely screwed and need to re-shoot?
Joshua Jezioro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Major Player

did you try playing them right away? I'm thinking it could have been condensation on the tapes and if you let them dry out, they may work. Otherwise, sorry to say, you may be in for a reshoot.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Major Player

What are you playing them on now? It could be a setting on the deck, or as said previously, it could be condensation and they need to dry out. Make sure the deck is in the right mode, ie: lp or sp mode. Switching these settings may help in your playback problem.
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Major Player

After you've let them "dry out" as mentioned below, I would make sure they are at room temp and repack the tapes (fast forward to the end of the tape, then rewind to the beginning), then attempt to play.
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Trustee

My guess is its an LP , SP problem or an incompatible deck. Leaving in the car shouldn't be a problem unless you left the windows open and it got rained on.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line