Using a DV Cam to Stripe HDV Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using a DV Cam to Stripe HDV Tape

I'm planning on shooting HDV footage with the A1U.

Will it recognize the Time Code for a tape that I've blacked/striped using a DV camera? In this case, I've got a PDX10 as a backup.

No lectures on the merits of striping vs. not-striping, please. Thanks in advance.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Since they are both different formats, it's no use striping a DV tape and recording HDV on top... the camera just won't recognise what's been laid down before.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah, that isn't gonna work. What happens will depend on how you set the menus (assuming the A1 is like the Z1). You can set the VCR for either DV, HDV or auto. If you set for auto it will sense timecode breaks during any gaps in the HDV recording and change to DV mode. If you set to HDV mode I think it will give an error message about not having a valid format that can be displayed as HDV.

Either way it isn't going to give you the desired effect.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Yeah, that isn't gonna work. What happens will depend on how you set the menus (assuming the A1 is like the Z1). You can set the VCR for either DV, HDV or auto. If you set for auto it will sense timecode breaks during any gaps in the HDV recording and change to DV mode. If you set to HDV mode I think it will give an error message about not having a valid format that can be displayed as HDV.

Either way it isn't going to give you the desired effect.
Bummer, but thanks for the heads up. I guess its no use keeping my PDX10 after I get the A1U.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Halliday
Bummer, but thanks for the heads up. I guess its no use keeping my PDX10 after I get the A1U.
Unless you can get a good price for the PDX10 and really need the money, you may regret not keeping it as a backup camera. There may be times when you have to get down and dirty to get a special shot and won't want to risk your new star player.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

Heh, that's pretty much why I've kept my PDX-10 :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line