Very weird problem with my DV deck. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Very weird problem with my DV deck.

I am using a Sony DRV-1000 DV Deck (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=38693). It is one of those 5.25" computer drives that fits in your computer. It has worked flawlessly for over a year.

Ok, here is the story:

I heard of this software that you could install on your computer to allow you to use a DV deck as a tape backup drive. (http://www.cristalink.com/fs/Default.asp)

I installed the software and everything seemed to work as I expected. I was able to make a backup of some data on a mini-dv tape. I even tried restoring it afterwards and everything seemed to be fine.
However after I ejected the tape and closed the drive, a few seconds later it popped back out and auto-ejected itself (even though no tape was in it). I closed it, and a few seconds later the same thing again. Ok, I tried putting a tape in, and it kept ejecting it. It has never done this sort of thing before. So I un-installed the software, and restarted my computer.
When the computer was restarted I closed the drive, and it stayed closed like it should. When I pressed eject on the tape, all three lights on the drive started flashing as the drive seemed to try rewinding & fast forwarding. It did this for 30 seconds or so. I pressed the eject button and it stopped and opened the tray.
After all this, I was hoping everything was back to normal. However now when I put in a mini-dv tape with video on it and try and play it, the preview window in Vegas only displays BLACK. If I fast forward for second and then press play the video looks all pixelated, and I notice the tape location is running FAST. It almost seems like it is fast forwarding (but it's not).
Is it possible the drive is playing back my tape in DVCAM mode even though it was recorded in DV mode? (PS, the tape plays fine in my camera).
I have emailed the company and they have said nothing their software would have done should have caused this.
I have also removed the drive and looked for a reset switch, I don't see anything.
Anybody at all have any ideas? or did I wreck my deck?

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line