DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   VTR Decisions - Sony versus JVC DV Decks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/65751-vtr-decisions-sony-versus-jvc-dv-decks.html)

Steve House April 23rd, 2006 03:42 PM

VTR Decisions - Sony versus JVC DV Decks

Submitted this in the editing section but think here might be more appropriate. I'm considering a VTR deck for DV capture and final output to tape and the choices are boiling down to a decision between Sony and JVC at two different price ranges. In the lower range I'm looking at the JVC BR-DV3000U and the Sony DSR-11 while at the upper end I'm looking at the JVC-BR6000U and the Sony DSR-25. Would like to hear some user comments pro and con on each of these options. Primary role will be capture of miniDV camera original into the NLE - Vegas or Premiere Pro - with possibilty of an occasional need to record final prgram back to tape.

In a related issue, the Sonys will both record and playback DVCAM as well as DV while the JVC's playback both DV and DVCAM but only record to DV. In fact, it seems Sony is positioning their recorders as DVCAM units with an added ability to also work with DV, while JVC seems to position theirs as primarily DV with DVCAM playback added. How crucial a factor should this be in the purchase decision? I'm thinking that the times when I'll be recording to the VTR, the resulting tapes would be intended for primarily for corporate clients and secondarily broadcast submission - seems that DVCAM would be a better accepted delivery format than miniDV and the ability to record in that format would be a strong plus. Comments?

K. Forman April 23rd, 2006 04:11 PM

There was a Sony, DS10 I think, that was also battery powered. Not a real big point, but it would be nice on occasion.

Greg Bartlett April 24th, 2006 07:18 AM

Hi Steve,

I have a DSR-11, I bought it because it was the most cost effective DVCAM deck I could get at the time that could ingest PAL in addition to NTSC. I already had some other sony DVCAM gear so that made my decision easier. Since then I've found I really appreciate it's compact size and very fast tape fast rewinding. It's also great to take along for recording long meetings or training sessions.

The drawbacks that I've found are that it has no ability to generate timecode and has analog output setup at 0 with no ability to switch to 7.5. There are work arounds, but my next deck will have those capabilities built-in.

Best Regards,

Greg

Jeff Toogood April 24th, 2006 08:45 AM

If I had the budget for a DSR-11, I'd spend a few more dollars and get an HDV deck like the new Sony HVR-M15U.

George Ellis April 25th, 2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Toogood
If I had the budget for a DSR-11, I'd spend a few more dollars and get an HDV deck like the new Sony HVR-M15U.

I have been thinking about this too (other kit has higher priority). That would give you ingest for 1080i Sony and JVC 720p. Wider options for projects you could do.

Jeremy Rochefort April 25th, 2006 12:42 PM

Here's another option just released by Sony and my favorite at the moment.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...06&p=16&sp=142
The M25U is next on my shopping list. Does all you want AND HDV!!

Cheers

Jeremy

Steve House April 29th, 2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Rochefort
Here's another option just released by Sony and my favorite at the moment.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...06&p=16&sp=142
The M25U is next on my shopping list. Does all you want AND HDV!!

Cheers

Jeremy

Just discovered that myself! Had just about decided on a DSR-25 but now I'm gonna wait. Will rent if I need something in the meantime. The M25U looks very promising!

Jack D. Hubbard April 29th, 2006 01:01 PM

M10u

Guys,

Sorry about the cross posting, but I need some shopping help and I might do better here: Trying to decide between M10U and the M15U. M10U has a screen and is portable, can be used with an NP-970 battery. M15 is a bigmouth AC only and no monitor. I know what the obvious answers are: My question is would I be better off with the M15 (I playback thru AJA KONA 2) for overall utility value?

Thanks,

Jack Hubbard

Jack D. Hubbard April 29th, 2006 01:10 PM

Transport

Boyd Ostroff tells me the M10U may have the same transport as the Z1, which is more delicate than a bonafide tape deck. It apparently also has a slow rewind time compared to the new decks. Anybody know the answer?

K. Forman April 29th, 2006 01:17 PM

The M10U has also been discontinued, from the looks of things. It sounds like it just wasn't up to grade, even if it was a great idea.

Jack D. Hubbard April 29th, 2006 01:19 PM

M10u

Thanks, Keith. Makes sense.
Jack

K. Forman April 29th, 2006 01:22 PM

No problem Jack, I had been looking at the 10U myself. And, as I get closer to having the cash to get my gear, it starts showing up as discontinued. That's the way my days go... *sigh*.

Jeremy Rochefort April 29th, 2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
Guys,

Sorry about the cross posting, but I need some shopping help and I might do better here: Trying to decide between M10U and the M15U. M10U has a screen and is portable, can be used with an NP-970 battery. M15 is a bigmouth AC only and no monitor. I know what the obvious answers are: My question is would I be better off with the M15 (I playback thru AJA KONA 2) for overall utility value?

Sony had to release a deck when they brought out the FX1 and Z1 otherwise they would have been in the poo. I saw the M10U as an intermediate device and never got one - somehow I had the feeling that a better deck would come. Little did I know what the upside would be. I have been using a borrowed deck and now need for Sony to get these things available asap.

What I like is HDV/DVCAM/DV all in one deck - and downconversion to 720p as well!!!!

This is going to make my life SO much easier

Cheers

Jeremy

Jack D. Hubbard April 30th, 2006 11:06 AM

B & H

Hi Keith,

B & H says they still have the M10U.

Jack

Dave Campbell April 30th, 2006 07:07 PM

So, whats the difference between the 15U and 25U? From reading the specs, the only difference is the LCD on the 25U for another 1300 bucks.

Dave