Sony Digital Master Tapes in Dallas/Ft. Worth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Digital Master Tapes in Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Does anyone know of a place in the DFW area where you can buy the SONY DIGITAL MASTER HDV/DVCAM TAPES (PHDVM-63DM)?

I am in desperate, unexpected need of a couple of tapes, and I can't find anyone that sells them.

Please disregard this message if it is after Monday, July 3rd, because my shipment from B&H will be in.

Thanks in advance!

-A.W.
Austin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sony DVM-63HD

I know that you should not switch brands, but what about going to a 'lower' quality tape like the Sony DVM-63HD? Do I need to be concerned about head damage by merely dropping one level?

I know where I can get some DVM-63HD's; I'm desperate, is using them ok???
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

My understanding is that the concern over using different tape brands has to do with different lubricants used by various manufacturers. One would expect that Sony uses a consistent lubricant on their different varieties of tapes, but of course I really don't know.

Personally, I would just use the other tapes and if concerned then run a Sony cleaning tape through the camera when you're done with the project. But that's just a gut feeling, and nothing scientific...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd

We don't like nothing scientific down here in TX. So by's you saying you used your guts I's trust you more. ; )

In all seriousness, I assume the same thing, that they would use the same lubricants and that it is longevity that makes the Digital Master different, and that I could get away w/it. I don't really have a choice at this point.

Thanks for your input Boyd.
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Wrangler

FWIW, I normally use the Sony Premium tapes in my Z1 and have never had any dropout problem. However, last summer I did a project in South America and they insisted on using Sony DVCAM tapes. I never gave it a second thought, and there were no camera problems after switching between the different Sony products.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Wrangler

Austin,

Have you tried Videotex? ECI Video? I would give Videotex a call since they are a Sony dealer.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank You Both

Thanks for pointing me to both companies. Unfortunately, they are both closed on the weekend, but knowing about them will certainly help in the future.

I'm going to just drop down to the DVM-63HD.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Austin Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line