recorded on Sony DV camera & play on Canon DV Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 25th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Tourist

recorded on Sony DV camera & play on Canon DV Camera

Hi All,
Just need some advice regarding DV Tapes. Have a small problem with the wedding shoot I was doing for my friend.

I shot the wedding with 2 cameras,

1) Sony 3CCD (exact model number unclear.) - RENTED
2) Canon - Consumer DV camera - PERSONAL

My friend wants the full wedding video now, and so I have to reimport the entire footage for quick edits.

Problem is, the bulk of the wedding, filmed on the rented sony 3ccd camera DV tapes will not play properly on my Canon consumer dv camera. The video skips a little every 5 secs and the audio jumps too. In short, its unplayable and cannot be imported to my computer via my Canon dv camera.

Is there any alternative to extract the footage from the DV tapes recorded on the Sony 3ccd camera without having to rent the camera again? (100 bucks a day!)

Appreciate your advice.
Thank you!
Ernest
Ernest Teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

Unfortunately Ernest, this is a known issue with some of the Canon camcorders. Although it might be the Sony at fault in this case, who knows. If you know anyone else that has a mini-dv camera, I would ask to borrow it to see if their camera could read the Sony camera tapes.

But the bottom line is, you can't read the tapes with what you have so you'll need to try what I suggested, or rent the camera again. If's a long shot, but you could try running a head cleaner through your Canon camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ernest,

If you have to rent Cam again, try to get the same unit you used before.

Call ahead to see if they can arrange that, and let them know of your difficulty. Their records should tell them which unit you used. Maybe they will even cut you a deal.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Try another consumer camera. I have been using a cheap Sharp to capture all my DV stuff for years, and no problem. I have a Sony 3 chipper (VX2000), a Panny GS120 and a Sony FX1. All the DV material plays fine. I have heard that Cannon cameras may slightly align the tape different, so that may be an issue.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber
Hi Ernest,

If you have to rent Cam again, try to get the same unit you used before.

Call ahead to see if they can arrange that, and let them know of your difficulty. Their records should tell them which unit you used. Maybe they will even cut you a deal.

Harold
You might mention that the problem could be misaligned heads on the rental camera, and ask them to let you use it to capture for free. Couldn't hurt, it is just a few hours!
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ouch.
$100 for a 3Chip handycam (I'm guessing)

I rent my PD170's for $50 for the day.
Of course, I've built up an account of renting larger equipment with them.

...for $100 a day,

it can be someone overpricing, which they may be stingy then. (It's an attitude thing.)

Or, they understand the price for the day,
and will let you import.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line