Anyone have any experience with EMTEK (BASF) minidv tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 6th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Anyone have any experience with EMTEK (BASF) minidv tapes?

I was looking around a store and noticed some DVC 60 mindv tapes by EMTEK for a really good price. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Also, I've run about 8-10 tapes through my camera so would changing brands now give me a good chance that I'll get dropouts and need to get the heads cleaned?

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:22 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I've seen these, but never tried them. If they're really cheap, I'd be a bit leery.

If you're going to change tape types/brands, run a tape cleaning tape in your cam. Just keep in mind, that every time you switch, clean the heads---that goes for your deck as well.

But if you haven't had problems with the tapes you are now using, why switch? To save a few dollars? I wouldn't take the chance. You just never know---plus, every time you put the sandpaper to your heads, the heads get eaten just a bit more.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #3
Warden

BASF has had a very bad reputation over the years. I would avoid the tapes if at all possible. There are many discussions about tapes so we don't need to start a I use . . . thread. If it were me I would switch now before I get too far down the road and are forced to switch because you can't find the BASF brand. You can almost always find Sony or Panasonic. I would clean the heads and use a better respected brand with a better reputation.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Ok, thanks guys. Sounds like they aren't worth the risk. I guess $30 (US$15) a tape is what I'll be payin..;)

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line