Keep a tape in your camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Keep a tape in your camera?

I've done a search on the forum but turned up no results on this question (might have missed something though).

THe question is this:
Is it better to keep a tape in your camera or to keep the camera empty when not in use?

The reason I ask is that it seems to me that keeping a tape in the camera for a period of time (but how long?) could cause the chemicals on the tape to possibly attach themselves to the head, thus creating dropouts and other errors.

However, keeping the tape deck empty (even with the door shut) seems like it would be more likely to let in small dust particles and bits of moisture.

What do you think is best in this case? What about keeping the cleaning tape in the drive when not in use (not using the tape, just keeping it there to sheild the innards from dust).
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Better to leave it empty.
Old October 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

i keep one in most of the time, you never know when you'll need to grab it in a hurry. If it were a camera like the sdx900 or f900 then i would keep it empty and stored in a safe place but cameras like the xl series and their equivelants are so affordable (head cleaning tapes, repairs etc) leaving a tape in really isn't that big a of a risk (IMO). Dropouts are gonna happen whatever you do.

Andy.
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was wondering that about a year or so ago and there was a thread that seemed to agree that over 30 days was bad to keep a tape in. In otherwords if you are planning on shooting more soon, keep the tape in and if you are storing the camera for a while take it out.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line