M15U or HV10? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

M15U or HV10?

Here's my dilemma.

I'm currently shooting using an FX1, and after recently running into extensive problems with the tape drive of one of my other cameras, I'm certainly feeling that it's time to get a dedicated playback device and stop putting wear on the camera by using it as my play deck.

I'm currently looking into a few options. The first is picking up an M15U. I like this one, but $1900 for the deck is a bit hard on me. I'd take this route if I knew I was getting a robust deck, but I've heard that the M15U's mechanism is pretty much the same as that of the FX1; rather than the more robust mechanism used in decks like the DSR-11. (Can anyone confirm/disprove this?) Plus, I could go tapeless and stay in this price range (possibly even less.)

Second is picking up a cheap camcorder -- I'm thinking an HV10 -- to use as a playback deck and for the occasional insert shot. This would only run me about $950, but I have two concerns here -- one is that a cheap camcorder like this would have a cheap tape mechanism that wouldn't last long; and the other is that it might not like the tapes from the Sony. I know the JVC and Sony HDV cameras aren't compatible... due to the 1080i vs 720p issue, right? Does anyone know if Sony and Canon cameras can play each other's tapes, since they're both 1080i?

The third, and least likely, option is going tapeless... but I'm concerned about storage of archived footage if I take this route, and I'm also concerned about the FireWire cable coming loose (I don't feel the 4-pin connectors are very durable). There's also the issue of having an extra (critical) battery to charge.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated... is anyone here using the HV10 as a playback deck? Is that a good route, or should I look into the M15U? Thanks in advance for any pointers! =)
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,
I do not have any "official info" concerning the tape mechanism of M15U but since it accepts both miniDV and DV-tapes it cannot be 100% the same as in FX1.

At least the software is different (compared to A1E) since it handles the tape much more gentler than the camera. It will slow down before tape ends and also accelerates much more smoothly. The FF & REW at least feel to be much faster. Not measured it, though.

The reason I got M15 was that the tape loading is easier than with any camera. Also I've already burned one camera by shortcircuiting Firewire thus I appreciate the fact that I do not need to remove and reconnect the plug all the time. And the possibility to use full size DV-tapes for archiving is a plus.
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry, a double post due to the connection problems...
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line