Y/C 358? 7 pin s-video connector? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Y/C 358? 7 pin s-video connector?

I just got an older s-vhs desk for video transfers. It has the standard BNC connectors, but for s-video(labeled Y/C 358) it has are a large 7 pin layout. The connector is large with the twist lock function of BNC connects. Has anyone heard of this style connector? Are there adapters to convert it to standard 4 pin s-video.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3976/8e181sblyv7.jpg

Seen here 3rd column from the left.
James Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Major Player

ya mean something like this?

http://tinyurl.com/3x6td5
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. It looks like I need a male 7-pin connector to male 4 pin , this one should work:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I believe JVC is the only company to use the Y/C 358.
It is very rugged. I have several from my SVHS decks. It is really a shame that it is not widely use. The regular Y/C conectors are subject to breakage just from their own weight.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Durand View Post
Thanks. It looks like I need a male 7-pin connector to male 4 pin , this one should work:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=
You'll need two, one for output and one for input as they are not interchangeable. If you have two of these decks, you would also need a third cable that has seven pin on both sides.

Now you know why the seven pin is kind of cool, and kind of a pain as well, especially if you decide to get a back up cable for each function, that's now six cables, at more money per cable, than just getting two standard 4 pin cables. Ouch!
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Tourist

What about Y/C 358 4 pin ports?

I have a JVC BR-S800U. It has in and out ports marked Y/C 358 but they look exactly like s-video ports. In fact, my s-video cables fit in perfectly. When I hook it up to teh s-video on my TV I do not get any picture (I do get sound through the RCAs. Is there a compatibility issue between Y/C 358 and s-video? Do I need a converter or to change an internal setting (dip switch). Or, is it possible the video on the machine is toast?

Thank you,
David (novice videographer trying to get into editing)
David Koon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #7
New Boot

Y/C 358 is the same thing as S-Video. There are two form factors the larger lockable round 7 pin and the smaller 4 pin(kind of like BNC and RCA). It sounds like the s-video output on your machine is not working.
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Tourist

Thank you, That is what I thought.

Now I guess I need to open it up and see if it is anything as simple as a broken wire or solder point. If not, then I need to get some BCN to RCA cables to test the video in general.

So a second question, is all I need is a straight BCN to RCA cable or is there something more involved to hooking up a deck with BCN to a TV with RCA.

Thanks again,
David
David Koon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Major Player

It's a BNC.

You can either get adapters that go from composite BNC to RCA bnc or get a premade cable.
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Major Player

YC 442 on JVC BRs822

Yet another type ? These connectors on my deck must be similar to those described. I got the matching cables (with standard s-video at the other end) from the JVC country rep, no problem but expensive.
But then again, nothig compared to the huge cost of the deck (I got it 2nd hand !!)
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Trustee

actually is might not be compatible. the 7 pin connector came from 3/4 days and used a different carrier freq for the chroma which I've long forgotten. that said there should be a switch on the deck to change it between the two different formats - might be labeled something like 3/4 <> 3.58. its been a very long time since I dealt with this stuff but the 3/4 flavor is slightly different and won't work with the Svhs flavor.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line