QuickStream DV and DVX100a... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > MCE QuickStream DV
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

MCE QuickStream DV
Specifically for the QuickStream DV Portable Hard Disk Recorder.

Old January 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #1
New Boot

QuickStream DV and DVX100a...

Chris, I know this Quickstream topic may not belong here but I wanted possible replies from DVX owners who use a Quickstream.

I'm surprised there aren't more people who are excited about this product. Is it the cost that's unattractive? Or is the mounting options?

I really think this is an amazing device. You will not have to waste time downloading from DV tape- ie no rewinding, fast forwarding, searching...

Also when you use, it will be protecting your DVX's head and rewinding mechanisms. The Quickstream can record straight to itself without having to use DVX's heads!

But the shear pleasure of being able click and drag video files straight from the Quickstream into FCP 4. Like an external hard drive is amazing, IMO.

I've read some info on Jarred's forum about it. But no one there has continued discussing more about it after they purchased it. I want to get some long term usage opinions on it (I know it just came out. ) For example reliabilty, will the hard drive hold up to constant use. My brand new Tivo's hard drive died after only 3 months use. The Tivo rep stated that hard drives can fail because you really are exposing the hard drives to some serious usage day in and day out.

So my question is, will the Quickstream be reliable and not drop frames and captures after some serious long term use?

May seem like a minor hassle but I think a better mounting option will really help the Quickstream take off, IMO.
ie- A mount which will have an aesthetically SEAMLESS FIT with professional DV cams. As if the Quickstream was made for the DVX. I'd prefer an under camera mount that Jarred has suggested.

Here's a pic with Quickstream on top:
BTW- Chris, can we post pictures in our posts? I tried using [img] [img] format but it didn't display the pic in the post.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/quic...V/IMG_0032.jpg

What does everyone think about mounting the Quickstream on the minirover hand mount. I ordered one from B&H, only $49:

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/videosmith.html
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Dr. Nguyen,

Quote:
I'm surprised there aren't more people who are excited about this product. Is it the cost that's unattractive? Or is the mounting options?
I think it's just a matter of getting the word out. Hard disk recorders such as the QuickStream, FireStore and a few others are really just know beginning to attract attention. I'm a huge advocate of this technology, so you can rest assured that we'll be discussing QuickStream and other similar recorders here at DV Info as the year goes on.

Quote:
I really think this is an amazing device. You will not have to waste time downloading from DV tape- ie no rewinding, fast forwarding, searching... Also when you use, it will be protecting your DVX's head and rewinding mechanisms. The Quickstream can record straight to itself without having to use DVX's heads! But the shear pleasure of being able click and drag video files straight from the Quickstream into FCP 4. Like an external hard drive is amazing, IMO.
The ability to bypass the limitations of DV tape and completely eliminate the tedious process of video capture are the two outstanding features of direct-to-disk recorders. When I wrote about the Videonics FireStore from Focus Enhancements, I came up with the tagline Go tapeless with FireStore and set yourself free from video capture. This really is a revolutionary , affordable technology and I'm glad you've madfe the leap into it.

Quote:
I want to get some long term usage opinions on it (I know it just came out. ) For example reliabilty, will the hard drive hold up to constant use. My brand new Tivo's hard drive died after only 3 months use. The Tivo rep stated that hard drives can fail because you really are exposing the hard drives to some serious usage day in and day out.
Well, I think that all depends on how you define serious usage. How much recording are you going to do and how frequently? You can always use the DV tape transport as a built-in backup recording system.

Quote:
So my question is, will the Quickstream be reliable and not drop frames and captures after some serious long term use?
Like you said, it just came out. Looks like we're all going to be learning about its endurance as we go.

Quote:
May seem like a minor hassle but I think a better mounting option will really help the Quickstream take off, IMO. ie- A mount which will have an aesthetically SEAMLESS FIT with professional DV cams.
The only problem with that is, rising production costs which are passed along to the customer due to unique body configurations depending on each camera. It's less expensive in the long run to stick with one universal molding.

Quote:
Chris, can we post pictures in our posts? I tried using [img] [/img] format but it didn't display the pic in the post.

Currently that feature is deactivated in order to allow the forum pages to load faster. We are looking into a public image upload area which will be linked to the message board database. Best of both worlds as it will allow members to upload their photos without tying up the bandwidth here on the boards. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old January 28th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #3
DVX User

I use the Quickstream everyday, and it is one of my top accesories I have ever bought for the DVX. you can check out my review here:

as for mount.. good point, and I made my own

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX/Y...num=1074373116

Full review of the Quickstream and DVX100 can be read here:

www.dvxuser.com/articles/quickstreamDV/
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

wow, interesting. I saw this film "Russian Ark" (the famous single shot HD feature film) and being introduced of this technology.
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Tourist

I may look iinto this!

I'm the king of tapes!!!, so if this drive can hang-in-there like you guys feel it can... I'll be fair enough to give it a shot.

depending on the nature of the shoot, it could save some time on projects that DO NOT require a substatial amount of editing. (I only digitize material that stands a great chance of being in the finished product. I'm not a fan of wasting disc space)

B.Kyle

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > MCE QuickStream DV