Medical Imaging with Iconix? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Medical Imaging with Iconix?

Hello,

Anyone out there have experience with the Iconix mini HD camera? A client of mine wants to use it to video their work in HD. But I'm trying to find anyone with real world experience. The real work area is quite tight so wanted to see what kind of mounting boom options and "on camera" lighting options there are. Thank you in advance!

Bill
Bill Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't use them on a regular basis, but I've seen them on a few shows.
What kind of cameras will you be matching the Iconix with? It's HD, but it uses a pixel shift. If you're cutting with broadcast grade ENG cameras like a Varicam it may look a little soft. If you're inter-cutting with XDCAM footage or prosumer gear it should match up fine. A higher grade image would come from an Ikegami HDL-20, but you'll pay for that with a much higher price tag.
I don't think there's any limit on the mounting options with the camera body. You can strap, bolt, clamp them to just about anything so mounting shouldn't be a worry.
I haven't seen any on-camera lighting used with them, but it would only help. Like every small camera, they really suffer if there's insufficient lighting. Whatever you can add would help. It may not be on-camera, but maybe additional side lighting. If you want it on-camera then you'll have to fabricate a custom mount that could hold both the camera and the light because I don't see any way to attach a light to the camera otherwise.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Actually the iconix will be the only camera. We just need something small, yet high quality to "fit" in there without obstructing the surgeon. Its looking like most simply attach the camera to the surgery light, so will probably not need any more light than that. I haven't been able to find anyone who has actually used the camera though. I called Iconix and they're supposed to give me a contact next week...guess they're busy this week! ha ha Thank you for your information.
Bill Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
It's HD, but it uses a pixel shift.
Most all HD cameras use pixel shift or some form of pixel offset technology. That's a non-issue around here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Major Player

"That's a non-issue around here."

I beg to differ. I've seen those cameras matched with broadcast cameras at a number of events and there's a noticable difference. That's why it's important to find out what cameras it's being cut with. It may be a non-issue as long as the client knows that it doesn't match exactly with the other cameras. But I've done shows where it was an issue and that camera wasn't used because it couldn't match up exactly with the other cameras.

Need an example of how they mis-match? Watch this weeks Nascar race on Fox (or Speed or whoever carries it this week) from Darlington. They use some cameras mounted in the pavement, the "Gopher cam." Those cameras are Iconix cameras. Watch closely at how those cameras match with the other cameras in the show. Post again on Sunday after you've seen it and let me know.

If it's the only camera being used, then it will look great and no doubt the client will be happy with the HD quality. Overall I like those cameras. I think they're a great, low cost, HD pov solution.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I have seen the Gopher cam, and I think it's a great example of how Content is King in this business. The angles those cameras provide are deemed interesting enough that the material goes directly to air. What greater validation do they need? What better endorsement is there than broadcast.

There can be a variety of reasons why cameras don't match, and once again, most all HD cameras use pixel shift or some form of pixel offset technology. I agree with your assessment that matching with XDCAM or below shouldn't be an issue.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems