Sony HXRMC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony HXRMC1

Just noticed the price on the Sony site Sony Product Detail Page - HXRMC1/ACC. Seems a little expensive for a repackage of HDR-TG1 consumer camera!!! That's over 3 times the price. I was expecting it to be 50% to twice the price.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Sony knows that it’ll be used for a lot of professional applications so their pricing it accordingly but there is one other HD POV system and it’s from Panasonic. I don’t think they released the price yet.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/panasonic...-complete.html

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; February 26th, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That looks like a nice unit too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Trustee

The current B&H price for the MC1 is $2,900 and with the specs of the Panasonic being much, much better, Sony will have to lower it if Panasonic puts a similar price tag.
Sony | HXR-MC1 POV HD CAMERA w/MIC - MONITOR | HXR-MC1/ACC | B&H
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The fact though is that HD POV cams usually costs MUCH more, even if this is a repackaged consumercam, its still a bargain for what it is.

What Panasonic has planned are even more interesting...can't wait to see that one.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Just finished our first shoot with this camera, we put it in the cockpit of a WW2 aircraft and the PQ is outstanding.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

hi Steve,

I m also planning to buy this camera at London. you say it's PQ is outstanding.so is it better than TG1 ? can you compare it to EX1-3 ? or can you share any footage ? is it production model ?

thanks.
alkım.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Well it cut perfectly with our EX3 footage, there is a clip here, but it's not in HD so I'm not sure how much use it is. Just for reference the large wide shot in the cockpit of the aircraft is with an SD camera.

I'll try and post an HD version on Vimeo later in the week.

http://www.flyingmachinestv.co.uk/storchfirstflight.wmv
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The picture quality is the same as the TG1/TG3, but the versatility is far greater. It's a really nice package. I just wish the lens was wider and it had audio in.

However both of those can be sorted with a wide angle adapter and a modification to add an audio input.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #10
Tourist

Panasonic pov camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Sony knows that it’ll be used for a lot of professional applications so their pricing it accordingly but there is one other HD POV system and it’s from Panasonic. I don’t think they released the price yet.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/panasonic...ml#post1011330
Where can i find out more about this camera? I tried to view the above link and it did not work.
Mark Veilleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Major Player

We were lucky to get our hands on one from a local store here in the Bay Area, and we've been extremely happy with the results. The documentary project my team is working on right now involves lots of POV footage, and we've actually mounted the MC1 on the outside of aerobatic aircraft doing over 180mph with great success. It's a fantastic camera and well worth the cost - the only downside that I see is the AVCHD workflow, which seems to consume a huge amount of space (Around 1gb/min.) when importing at full quality into FCP in ProRes422.

Stay tuned, we should have some footage up shortly, I'll try and post it here.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Veilleux View Post
Where can i find out more about this camera? I tried to view the above link and it did not work.
Chris Hurd must have moved it.

Here’s a link to an outside source:
Panasonic Announces Its New AG-HMR10 AVCCAM Compact Recorder and Multi-purpose Camera Head | The Briefing Room

3x ¼” CMOS chips with a native pixel count of 1920x1080 each, which is the same that’s used in the Panasonic TM300. To put things in perspective, the Sony V1u uses chips that are about the same size.

Here is a quote from that site:
“The handheld unit records stunning full HD 1920×1080 resolution images in three recording modes – the highest quality PH mode** (average 21 Mbps/max. 24 Mbps), HA mode (approx.17 Mbps) and HG mode (approx.13 Mbps). The HE mode (approx. 6 Mbps) records at 1440×1080. The HMR10 records in HD formats including 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 720/60p and 720/50p.”

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; April 8th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
the only downside that I see is the AVCHD workflow, which seems to consume a huge amount of space (Around 1gb/min.) when importing at full quality into FCP in ProRes422.
If only we Avid users were that lucky....no sensible way of direct import in Composer yet.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Trustee

So what’s the full story between AVID and AVCHD? Is it really worse than Final Cut? Is that for all AVID products?

Avid is going to be at NAB and I’ll be extremely happy if both Apple and AVID offer native AVCHD editing by May. I’m going back to college to upgrade my associates to a Bachelors degree and it’s not funny that 2 of the editing programs that they offer dosn't fully support AVCHD.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; April 8th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #15
Major Player

Just an update - my producer (who owns the camera I rigged this past weekend) just sent me a quick clip of the footage from the acro flights we filmed. As he states on the vimeo page, vimeo does not do this footage justice, but it gives you a good idea of what this camera can do!

Guneet flying with Ben Freelove on Vimeo

Filmed using the MC1 and the wide-angle .7x adapter mounted between the center struts of the pitts S-2 biplane. We could have pulled the shot back a little more but I wanted to make sure the camera was mounted securely, which involved fixing it two two struts instead of one.

A photo of me rigging the MC1

Enjoy!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems