FCP with GoPro footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:37 AM   #1
New Boot

FCP with GoPro footage

Hello all ...

My new toy : A GoPro Wide HD GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

It gives me a mp4 format. Using "flip4mac" I usualy can import to FCP (I do it often when shooting with my FlipHD as a second cam with my EX3). But with the GoPro FCP doesn't want to use that format. Had anyone ever used a GoProHD with FCP? What are the base settings you use on FCP and on the GoPro?

Thank you for the help

David
David Lutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have one of the original GoPro helmet cams which I have used for multicam motocross race productions. That model produces .avi files which I just drop into FCP and then export a full size Quicktime movie to bring back in and multiclip.

Have you tried converting the .mp4 with Compressor? I've done that a number of times and had no problems.
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

transcode to Quicktime using Mpeg Streamclip. Mpeg Streamclip is free, has batch capabilty and will do an excellent job.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

According to the specs on the GoPro site (we've been looking at that system for a few months now) it's recording in H.264 and most likely the AVCHD wrapper. With FCP all you need do is use Log & Transfer (assuming you have at least FCP 6) and transcode into ProRes 422 (not HQ). MPEGSC can do the job but it's not required with the built-in tools in FCP.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Major Player

While you are right Robert, MPEG Streamclip is free and can do the job in batch, with a much larger variety of options and export capabilities than log and transfer, and can do it in the background while FCP is running (whereas at least with FCS2 Log and transfer ties up Final Cut, whereas MPEG Streamclip doesn't)

Personally, I'd much rather be editing while footage transcodes in the background, and mpeg streamclip allows me to do that.

And did I mention it's free.

Some tools are unnecessary, some tools are useful but not mandatory, other tools are simply no brainers. MPEG Streamclip is a no brainer.
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
New Boot

Thank you for all the help,

I transcoded usin Mpeg Streamclip and could import to FCS2. all is good but my FC is working really realy hard to keep up and clips keep hagning the system.

I trancoded to .mov h.264. It doubled the size of the clips. What format would you recomment I transcode to?
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lutzy View Post
I trancoded to .mov h.264. It doubled the size of the clips. What format would you recomment I transcode to?
David,

The GoPro footage is *already* in H.264 format which is not an editing format, which is why FCP is struggling to keep up.

You need to transcode the footage into ProRes 422 using either Log & Transfer or, MPEG Streamclip. Alternatively if you don't want to use ProRes (in case you have to hand-off files to another editor who doesn't have FCP or a PC-NLE not capable of handling ProRes) you can also transcode into DVCPRO-HD 720p which is also a 4:2:2 color space and "i-frame" just as ProRes is.
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

The intent was to clarify that nothing else is *required* outside of FCP6/7 to use the GoPro footage. MPEGSC and other free apps can easily do the job as a standlone app - but *not required*.
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
New Boot

Thank you verry mutch for the explication.

I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I have a few GoPro 1080p cameras and have been using MPEG Streamclip but when Robert speaks on this forum I listen. So as I write this I am trying Log and Transfer with FCP6. the problem with QT from MPEG Streamclip is the size of the files. And if you are putting say 20 hrs of helmet clips in a job that adds up.

Will report back shortly.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Well sorry to say FCP 6.0.6 will not import the files. So MPEG StreamClip is what I will still use and import the clips as ProRes not ProResHQ which is the upper of the two.

Unless Robert has a method that works?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #12
New Boot

Hello,

I have to say that Log and trasfer does not work for me as well. Maby there is a trick like you say.
David Lutzy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems