DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GoPro or POV camera forum? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/482726-gopro-pov-camera-forum.html)

Annen James July 31st, 2010 01:27 PM

GoPro or POV camera forum?

I would like to see a GoPro or probably a general POV camera forum. They are used so frequently now that I think that a forum would be good. Thanks!

Chris Hurd July 31st, 2010 04:34 PM

Anybody else for GoPro?

Jack Zhang July 31st, 2010 05:01 PM

Can't name it GoPro, just name it General POV camera forum (Don't neglect Sony or Panasonic's AVCHD additions)

Tim Kolb July 31st, 2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1554183)
Anybody else for GoPro?

Sure, i'm up for GoPro... I have 5.

(a generic POV camera forum is OK too I guess... :-) )

Pete Bauer July 31st, 2010 08:02 PM

Now I feel inadequate...I only have two GoPro HD Hero cameras.
;-)

As popular as these cameras are, there is bound to be an expansion in the market so seems reasonable to me to have a forum for inexpensive wide angle, fixed focus cameras. Not a big deal, but I'm not all that fond of the term POV; they tend to be marketed and often used that way, but you can be a lot more creative with these cameras than just that...maybe something like "Point n Shoot Video" or to hearken back to my youth "Instamatic Video?" But again, just thinkin' (with a Shiner Bock in hand, after a hard day of yard work).

Tim Kolb July 31st, 2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 1554230)
Now I feel inadequate...I only have two GoPro HD Hero cameras.
;-)

Yeah, well...three of mine are SD...I got the two HD models and I only use the SD models for continuous still images of something, etc...

If you know anybody interested in two SD Wide Heroes and a...not wide SD Hero, send 'em my way.

By the by...the waterproof housings...are really waterproof...

Lake Superior Shipwreck Footage-GoPro Camera on Vimeo

:-)

Pete Bauer July 31st, 2010 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very cool video, Tim. I grew up in Northern MN and was a diver, but never dove the Big Lakes.

Yep, Woody the Swimming Dachshund can confirm the GoPro case is waterproof, although he prefers to stay at the surface (1080p30 frame grab)! Also attached is a GoPro video frame grab in a documentarian setting (720p60 frame grab; June 2nd crew extraction of the 21 Soyuz crew returning from the International Space Station).

But we digress...Chris, I guess we need a forum for this stuff!

Alan Melville August 1st, 2010 04:06 AM

Yep, I'm interested. I have a GroPro HD, not super impressed but it definitely has it's uses and if used in the right conditions captures events well.

Al

Paul Mailath August 1st, 2010 06:30 AM

me too - got mine for some surfing footage for an upcoming short - havent' really had time to play with it yet,

Gabor Heeres August 1st, 2010 07:22 AM

+1. Still dubbing to bouy one. GoPro HD or ContourHD, that's the question....

Annen James August 1st, 2010 08:01 AM

GoPro for sure. The Contour is very soft around the edges, and the audio is poor (both are really, but the GoPro at least gives you something to work with that somewhat useable),

Bill Thesken August 1st, 2010 10:36 AM

I have a big camera, but most of the stuff I've been filming lately has been with the GoPro such as this type of water based activity:

YouTube - Kona Red

It's light weight and fun to get in the water with it.
Last week I put together two 30 minute films that look great using all GoPro water footage.
However, there are some questions I have that only a forum with other users experiences may be able to answer.

Matt Davis August 1st, 2010 12:34 PM

Definitely want a GoPro or POV section here. I've just bought my GoPro HD and wanted to plug into the usual DVinfo.net hive mind whilst learning the ropes.

POV is IMHO probably a better title just in case something better pops up, though the GPH does seem to be the best in town at the moment.

Mine's going on a kite!

Dan Brockett August 1st, 2010 06:50 PM

For those of you who subscribe to HD Video Pro Magazine, I am working on a feature article about POV cameras. Testing the Go Pro, Panansonic, Sony and Iconix. Any requests for specific information beyond the obvious or tests you would like to see?

Dan

Annen James August 1st, 2010 07:42 PM

All cameras on a color chart test. Man the GoPro is brown. Vibration issues, say in a car on on a bike. Soft edges test. Wide angle test and fish-eyeing.

oooohh... and I know it's not the main factor, but a comparison of audio would be nice.