LCD stopped working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Major Player

LCD stopped working

Hi, was getting ready to go out of town. Gopro was working properly (camera and LCD backpack). Had to work, before leaving, so I plugged the gopro (LCD still attached) into the usb port on my laptop, to charge it. came home, packed up, went out of town. Next morning I pull out the gopro, for the day of filming, and LCD no longer working. Camera works just fine, with non working LCD still attached. If I hold the play button on the LCD, it switches to player mode, and the screen looks like it lights up, but there is no picture. I've reset the camera (by removing the battery), still nothing. Ive reinstalled the firmware, and still nothing.

Any advice, before I just consider the LCD fried? Not sure what I did to do this. Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: LCD stopped working

This is a common problem and almost certainly has to go back to GoPro. It is in the camera, not the LCD back.

Email GoPro first though. (You need to do this anyway to get a return authorization number.)

Don't forget that GoPro's are made with about $20 in parts and $100 in marketing. This leaves enough profit margin that they can have insane return rates, and still make a huge profit. There are VERY high failure rates on these little cameras. While their customer service is great and they will replace cameras without question, I sometimes wonder if it would be better to just make them better and have lower return rates.

(By the way, if you have every plugged in your GoPro to an HD TV, you may get it stuck in "Tel" mode, with the LCD screen showing the same symptoms as what you had.)
Dave Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: LCD stopped working

I had emailed gopro, and they didn't mention anything about it possibly being the camera. They simply told me to try resetting by removing battery. Guess I'll shoot them another email, and reference what you told me. I was going to crack open the gopro, and switch the lens out, glad in haven't done it yet, since it would have voided the warranty.

Thanks for the reply

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems