Best HD POV Cam for Ice Skater at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old August 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best HD POV Cam for Ice Skater

I frequently shoot in ice rinks, where I set up in an access door or on the ice with a tripod. I'd like to add some skater POV shots to edit into the videos. Usually the skater is on the ice less than an hour, so really long battery time isn't a requirement. The other cameras are a Canon HV40 and a XA-10 (soon) and the edit is done with Sony Vegas Pro 10 on a quad core Q6600 motherboard with Win 7 64 bit.

From what I have watched, the GoPro Hero shots are a bit wide for what we are doing. Are any of these adjustable for degrees of coverage? I am trying to keep this in the $250-$350 range at least for the initial acquisition, not including memory.

Thanks in advance,
Chip
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Best HD POV Cam for Ice Skater

Check out the Replay XD. Got a pair of them and they're not as wide at 1080p. Hdmi out and a bunch of other neat features. They're smaller than the Contour too. About $300. The different video dimensions all vary the width of the lens. No true adjustment.
If you do get one, know that you need to adjust some settings to get best quality from them. It's a piece of cake as it's done through a text file that resides on the micro SD card. Battery life is about 90 min.
Getting good results and even better with Magic bullet denoiser applied. (I use that on Gopro and contour footage too, these cameras are all noisy!)
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Best HD POV Cam for Ice Skater

Thanks, Robert. I added the VIO POV.hd even though it is outside my initial budget. I like the flexibility of use. With the included monitoring, one could put it on a pole as well. Might be tricky to rig on certain ice skating costumes tho ...

[Wondering if indoor rink lighting is enough for this kind of camera? I guess a real world test will tell all.]

Last edited by Chip Gallo; August 10th, 2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: add light comment
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems