Gopro Hero2 120fps is pretty cool at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Gopro Hero2 120fps is pretty cool

I just got my Hero2 yesterday and played with 120fps.
Gopro Hero2 120fps 720P.mp4 - YouTube
This new one is so much easier to navigate and the response time is much faster.
When you hit the shutter button on it the shutter snaps much faster.

I shot this in 480 120p but in a pinch I think you could up-res to 720p for a quick scene.
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Gopro Hero2 120fps is pretty cool

I was just about to order last model when I heard about the new one. I'll have one on the way very soon!

It's pretty hard to get an idea of the 120fps from your sample - do you have anything that you've shot at full scale (ie not a miniature model)?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Major Player

I have not used the 120fps for anything else yet. I bought the new one for the 120fps to go with my other 2 gopro hd's and for the new time lapse intervals. So far the new HD hero2 is much better in WB and the exposure is better by a couple of stops.
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Explain yourself Joey as 'exposure is better by a couple of stops' makes no sense at all.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Possible meaning that the Hero2 is a bit better in low light. Didn't they improve both the optics and sensor?? I only have a Hero2 ..it seemed pointless to buy the older Hero.

They are remarkably good even indoors in standard interior lighting with a little bit of noise in a poorly lit living area but in our kitchen that has a 23W CFL lamp I get a sharp image.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I was just about to order last model when I heard about the new one. I'll have one on the way very soon!

It's pretty hard to get an idea of the 120fps from your sample - do you have anything that you've shot at full scale (ie not a miniature model)?
Not much of a test but this is 120 converted to 30 in cineform.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Awesome!!

Was that shot at the 848x480 resolution Don?? Is there a lot more jerkyness if you use 60 frames?? The 120 sure is silky smooth.

I haven't used that mode on my Hero2 as yet!!! Now I am itching to try it out... as John says, I'd love to see some extreme sports shot in super slomo too!! Maybe something like wave boarding???

For something a little bigger than a box of matches it's an amazing tool!!! Just need to also grab an LCD back for mine too!!!

Chris
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

My Sony NX5 has what they call 'smooth slow record' where it shoots at 200 fps (slowed down 4x in PAL land). Trouble is (to maintain full screen mode) it reduces the 1920x1080 quality to what looks like 720x576. Question: Does the GoPro do the same thing when shooting qt 120 fps?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

The GoPro in slomo (60fps) or Super SloMo (120 fps) drops the resolution from 1920x1080 possible max right down to 848x480 so your camera seems to do the same thing...!! The image still looks good though!!! I always render footage out to SD DVD so an 848x480 wouldn't have too much resizing to do BUT if you are going full HD then the losses might show up!!

Chris
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Awesome!!

Was that shot at the 848x480 resolution Don?? Is there a lot more jerkyness if you use 60 frames?? The 120 sure is silky smooth.

I haven't used that mode on my Hero2 as yet!!! Now I am itching to try it out... as John says, I'd love to see some extreme sports shot in super slomo too!! Maybe something like wave boarding???

For something a little bigger than a box of matches it's an amazing tool!!! Just need to also grab an LCD back for mine too!!!

Chris
It was at 480 Chris and I haven't noticed any jerkiness in 60 FPS either, just not as slow.
I'd save my money on the LCD back. I hardly ever use mine. It's nearly impossible to see in the sun and an inexpensive field monitor or small TV with AV in is better to frame pictures.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Strange - I always felt lost when I used the GoPro without its rear screen - I'd forever be getting my horizontals off. Now with the Extreme cam it's easy - I simply flip the camera over and tilt up the rear screen. It's visible in bright daylight, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Gopro Hero2 120fps is pretty cool-upside-down.jpg  
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Don

I bought one anyway I had some change lying in my PayPal account doing nothing and I needed to buy a bike mount too so I added in an LCD...maybe a little hood might be good (sorta velcro stick-on when the sun is around and really annoying)

I gave up on the AR Drone scenario so I'll be doing my aerial shots simply from a big stand or pool pole. The Drone really wouldn't work well enough or smoothly enough with my Android phone and it wasn't worth the investment to buy an iPad so it went on ebay!!!

When the cam is 30' in the air it certainly won't need a LCD but there are other times when it might just be useful!!

Chris
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Understand Chris!

You might take a look at this. It looks like it does a lot including hood the LCD and converts to a lens hood to prevent flares.

Hooded Silicone Covers for GoPro HD
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Don

Many thanks!!

I'll look around locally as well and see what's available. I like the idea of it being silicone so you can go directly into the water without worrying about taking off the hood.

Gosh my accessory collection has now warranted a custom case ... it is now getting confusing with 4 backs for the LCD, 2 backs for the non LCD and all sorts of mounts. I bought an aluminium case and some "briefcase" foam so I can try and arrange everything in one place.

Chris
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #15
Major Player

Yep...it's probably time for a case.
The blank space on the right now has 6 more HD2's so this one is full.

Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems