Gopro Hero2 or Replay 1080XD for General Use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Gopro Hero2 or Replay 1080XD for General Use?

I've read a few threads (with particular attention to Dean's comments, as he has both cams) but am still stuck as to which to buy.

Seems like field of view is more natural/less exaggerated on the Replay. Sound is better on the Replay, and color is less saturated and maybe easier to play with in post. And it's smaller!

Gopro is watertight, and has more mounting options.

I don't have specific uses, but would like to film a bit underwater (for a doc I'm working on), plus hidden camera stuff (well, put in a bag with a hole cut out), plus mounting it on a motorbike, and on a headstrap (not helmet).

Any advice?

Unfortunately I can't try out as there are no camera stores near to the village i live in in Guatemala.

Thanks all!!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gopro Hero2 or Replay 1080XD for General Use?

No cure all answers unfortunately.

I bought my Replay just before the HD2 came out. I don't know if I would have if the GoPro's were on the shelves.

The Replay gives a little less distortion but the sound seems as good on the HD2 as the Replay. I do a lot of hidden camera stuff and the Replay wins hands down.

The GoPro is the choice for underwater or rough weather photography.

Either works well on a helmet or car/motorcycle/bike mount.

Color is as good IMO on the HD2 as the Replay.

You really need both but if I had to take only one, it would be the GoPro. You will need to buy an aftermarket lens to get really good underwater pics with the HD2.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don. Appreciate the input!

Yes the Replay certainly looks like the right tool for hidden camera. And interesting comments about audio.

Any thought on jello? The footage I've seen with Gopro showed a lot (I guess to be expected with CMOS sensors).

I've emailed/called replay to find out if there's a waterproof capsule for the 1080XD. I have a feeling if I could find an affordable one ($20-30) my mind would be made up.

Best
Dave
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Major Player

I think the GoPro2 also has an upgraded plug in audio capability, which might help your decision.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Major Player

It has a plug Bill. There wasn't anything to upgrade on the GPHD unless you wanted to hack the bus port.

I made a joke picture a long time ago and can't find it. I mounted a GoPro on one of my shoulder rigs complete with a mattbox, Video Mic, field monitor, H4N and video light.

The GoPro's strong suit is being small stable little action cameras without any accessories.

Of course now that I said that..I won't mention the case I modded to use 77mm filters or the protest pole I just finished.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Sounds like the Gopro Hero2 is the way to go then, yeah?
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Major Player

The Blur Fix mod is also conceptually interesting, in that it allows for sharp underwater video, and attaching rotating ND or other glass filters to the outside of the camera.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

My two cents here: if battery life is important, keep in mind the Replay will run from 1 to 2 hours, depending on the camera and the condition of the battery. No longer than that. And the battery is built-in, so there's no swap-out.

In my opinion, it takes a much better camera to get decent underwater footage. I use a Canon Vixia in an Ikelite housing and the footage so far has been surprisingly good.
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dave, for literally 1/3rd of the cost of either of these two (mighty fine) cameras, you could have one of these Extreme cams, complete with built-in LCD screen:

Crocolis HD - 1080P Full HD Extreme Sports Action Camera (Waterproof)

The bit-rate given over to the audio means it's so noise-riddled that it's only useful for picking up the motorcycle's engine, but the images are spectacularly sharp and the stills are quite remarkably good. The lens flares quite a bit, but what's a bit of flare between friends when the barrel distortion is so eye-widening?

I've yet to dunk mine under water, but I sure intend to.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Dean and Tom.

Dean - good point about battery life. Also good to hear about underwater shooting. I'd be doing very basic filmiing, say a foot underwater, so hope the Gopro would be alright.

Tom - you've added another player into the game. I'll check out the Crocolis and see if it meets my needs. So image wise you think it's similar to the Gopro 2? Audio wise it sounds like it's worse. What about physical size? Mounting options (I'd like to mount to a headband to get some POV shots from the bus drivers helpers down here who are always in and out and on top of the buses while they're careening down twisty mountain roads).
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Dave,

I've used the GoPro1 and written it up for a magazine. For its size it's bleedin amazing and from what I've read the GP2 is an improvement in many ways. I'm still not sure if the GP2 shoots sharp footage under water, but the flat front element of the ExtCam suggests it will. It flares into the light more than the GP1 but looks every bit as sharp.

Here's the Action-cam test on the thing that swayed me:

Crocolis HD Extreme Cam - A review - YouTube

It's considerably cheaper than Go Pro and comes with many bits that Go Pro charge extra for. So I have an array of brackets, clips, attachments, chargers (even a car charger) cables and adapters. Spare batteries are 4.99 at 7dayshop, delivered. 3.7v 1800mAh. Not bad. Only thing it needs is a lens cap, but the top off my little WD40 can fits perfectly.

tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Gopro Hero2 or Replay 1080XD for General Use?-extreme-cam.jpg  
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Major Player

So Tom, do you prefer it to your Gopro? Not that money is no object, but I've spent so much on video equipment, computers, HDs, etc, paying $150 extra is not a lot ... as long as the product is that much superior.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Do I prefer it? Difficult one that. At a third of the price the EC is a bit of a bargain but it's let down in the audio dept and it's physically bigger than the GP. You say you would like to film a bit underwater so the GP1 is no good - it needs more money spending on a flat glass housing, For your hidden camera stuff the two cameras will be equal but even using the supplied tie-clip mic the EC's audio is hissy-horrible. Mounting it on a motorbike wont be a size problem, though on a headstrap you might prefer the GP size-wise.

And I hated using the GP without its rear screen - even with its huge wide-angle the guessing as to pov and tilt/yaw felt like working with viewfinder-less film cameras - having to wait ages to see the results. So that's another GP expense, you'll need the little LCD screen.

Another thought. The GP would sell second hand in a flash - the firm's reputation and exposure backs up their product. You might nave a spot more trouble trying to sell the EC - though a quick demonstration would convince the sceptics.

tom.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Tom. Sounds like both have the positives and negatives. If sound was better I think I'd aim for the Extreme. Wonder if a firmware update would take care of the issues.
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I just received a Replay 1080XD that I ordered to fly on my drone. Video quality looks pretty similar to the GoPro but the camera itself is smaller lighter & more aerodynamic. The ergonomics of operating are better too e.g. it vibrates to indicate power on/off & record start/stop.

My GoPro seems to have acquired a speck of dirt on the sensor or inside the lens. From some Googling around they re prone to this & there are tutorials online showing you how to disassemble the GoPro & clean or replace the lens &/or clean the sensor.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems