VIO POV.HD Helmet Camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: VIO POV.HD Helmet Camera

I've watched some of the sample clips POV has posted on their web site. But I'm not sure what I'm watching, as they're not upfront about whether it was shot entirely with POV or whether only the "trick" shots were and then mixed in with other camcorders.
I'm going to call them to ask.
If they were entirely POV, then it's a pretty impressive camcorder to my eyes. But I doubt it.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #17
Major Player

The Gopro produced videos are impressive too, reason why it's shot in perfect conditions, edited correctly and only the best clips selected out of thousands. POV HD would have done exactly the same thing. These 2 cameras are completely different form factors and as such are suitable for different applications.

Your H2 was designed to record live loud music or instruments, not birds in the distant background.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Major Player

I just ordered a POV to try out for a few weeks. I'll let you know what my impressions are.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #19
Inner Circle

So far my impression of the VIO POV vs. the bunch of GoPros I have used for years is a very similar picture. I do not think the VIO has a better picture and the change in exposure is not very smooth. But if you want a wired POV with a screen then it is worth getting. They tell me the extension wire is a long way off. Also the customer service is below average.

I am also buying a Sony HDR-CX560V camcorder. This has a much better picture then all the small POV cameras on the market at 3x the price but it will be the king of my POV group.

I think all the POV companies spend a lot of time producing their demo videos to give results that 98% of the users will never get.
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #20
Major Player

Paul, be very weary of the Sony Sony HDR-CX560V, it consumes twice as much battery in 1080 60pmode (not much over 30mins stock battery) and the demand on the camera processing affects the focusing big time, extremely slow to refocus. Not really what you want as a POV cam. The only thing this camera does well is the excellent OIS.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks for the input Ian,

I have not purchased the CX560V yet since I don't need it right away. I always shoot 30p. Is there the same focus/battery problem at 30p?

Enjoyed your site. Nice job on using flashlight cases for waterproof cases.

I see you use a HF100. Do you recommend the HF30 over a CX560V? Always looking for marine industry user input. I did have a HF10 and it worked well.

Edit:
After looking over a few specs and some online videos the HF30 is another camera in the running for one of my POV's. It says it has a LANC, wonder if it works in the Sony SPK-HCE housing?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems