Remember the 'Crocolis'? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Remember the 'Crocolis'?

There's a new one: the Xdreme.

It looked really promising with AUTO HORIZON. ..'till our friend from the UK tells us that the feature is not available while recording. I like his reviews, simple without footnotes on what Bokeh is ..doing pretty much a common man walkabout.

Jim
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Remember the 'Crocolis'?

Thanks for posting that Jim.

They have addressed the couple of problems I have with the hero2 namely settable white balance and a +/- exposure bias. Maybe GoPro will take note.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Major Player

I went to sleep during the review....does he mention price?
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

He didn't mention the price because it varies all over the web. Just go for the best price you can find, I say.
He did rather complain that the camera was making the shot too dark, but in reality he had lots of sky in the shot and the camera was simply adjusting the overall exposure to give the best result. No clever spot metering or centre weighting here.

He also said the camera took a long time to adjust its iris to the changing lighting conditions, but I'd be very surprised to learn it had something as expensive as an iris on board. I'm betting its the same as the Extreme cam in that exposure is controlled by adjusting the ISO value and the shutter speed per frame.

He's right to say the front element is a piece of flat plastic (so that the cam shoots sharp footage under water) but the new design stops you using the top off a WD40 can as a push-on lens cap. About the only thing missing from that box of bits 'n' pieces.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Tom. I need to look again. I couldn't find it anywhere on the web, just the Extreme.
It looks interesting. I'm not going to sell my GoPro's but I am going to start testing some of the competition.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems