DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   External mic arrangement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/510266-external-mic-arrangement.html)

Renton Maclachlan September 6th, 2012 02:01 AM

Re: External mic arrangement

1 Attachment(s)
Well...the first el cheapo mic has turned up and works...

Dean Sensui September 6th, 2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 1751595)

That looks great. You should market it!

How's the sound, and how weather resistant is it?

Renton Maclachlan September 6th, 2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1751598)
That looks great. You should market it!

How's the sound, and how weather resistant is it?

I've got the Go Pro case pretty waterproof but the mic won't be water proof at all. I'm expecting another el cheapo mic of a different sort any day so it will be interesting to see what that is like.

What's the sound like? Who knows? I tested the sound in the sealed case, and couldn't hear a thing. With the mic, it was fine...well...better than nothing. I haven't anyway of testing its quality, but I wasn't expecting great audio from it...only cost a couple of $US...

Chris Harding September 6th, 2012 10:08 PM

Shucks Renton

Sure you could afford such a mic??? I have bought one too...for AUS$4.70 (and free shipping) it's worth a shot as I really only use the Hero audio to sync footage ...at that price if it doesn't work I can toss it in my junk box

Amazing how cheap they can sell these for!!!

Chris

Renton Maclachlan September 7th, 2012 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My second elcheapo mic turned up today...and works...although it is quite a lot lower in volume...

Dean Sensui September 7th, 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 1751595)

Could you post a few photos showing this modification?

Renton Maclachlan September 7th, 2012 04:54 PM

I presume you mean the modification of the Go Pro case?

I bought an extra case, marked the centre of the external mic plug on the outside of the case, drilled out with small to large drills until I got a hole size that would take the rubber gomit I got. (First I located a suitable 'L' mini jack > mini jack, and then got a gromit with a hole to suit the size of the plug. As it turned out I didn't have many options.)

I've found in drilling out using small to large drills - particularly in softer material such as plastic, that the larger drills can tend for some reason to wander off the centre, and this happened. This meant that the gromit is unfortunately not actually centred on the external mic output. It's near enough however and the rubber squashes up on one side as the jack is plugged in. The plug is a pretty snug fit in the gromit but I'm not sure if the case is totally waterproof with the plug in it...certainly not waterproof for immersion in water...I'm not going to try it. It's probably not bad for rain, though the mic would get wet...

Also the gromit on the inside needs to be compressed a bit by the camera as it is put in the case, because it encroaches a bit on the camera space. ( I may pare the gromit down a bit on the inside...or maybe not...)

The slot in the gromit for accomodating the case material was slightly narrower than the case so I countersunk the outside of the hole in the case very slightly to allow the gromit to fit better.

Peter Riding September 9th, 2012 04:07 AM

Renton, for future reference when drilling a smooth surface such as plastic or metal you do indeed need to start with the narrowest drill bit possible to avoid wander; but also try sticking a piece of tape such as gaffer tape to the surface as this should give the bit just enough purchase to keep in it the right place.

This works on bathroom and kitchen tiles as well :- )

Pete

Renton Maclachlan September 9th, 2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1752196)
Renton, for future reference when drilling a smooth surface such as plastic or metal you do indeed need to start with the narrowest drill bit possible to avoid wander; but also try sticking a piece of tape such as gaffer tape to the surface as this should give the bit just enough purchase to keep in it the right place.

This works on bathroom and kitchen tiles as well :- )

Pete

Thanks Peter. I've never had an issue on harder materials....though sometimes the same thing happens when drilling aluminium...particularly thinner stuff. I normally put masking tape on ceramic tiles but more to allow me to have easily discernable marks to cut to...does help reduce chipping as well. I've done plenty of cutting of ceramics...use diamond blades...but not much drilling...have tried diamond drills...still takes ages. Difficult to centre punch ceramics but the surface needs to be broken.

I actually can't imagine any tape would stop drill wander. The only thing that will I think is that as the drills get bigger, you shouldn't use too big a step up in size....

Larry Stephens March 10th, 2013 12:34 PM

Renton,
Do yo remember where you found the 90deg "L" jack? I have looked everywhere and can't find one with long legs on both ends like that.
Thanks Larry S.

Renton Maclachlan March 10th, 2013 01:00 PM

As I recall, I just picked it up from the electronic store 'Jaycar' in Wellington...
Adaptor 3.5mm Stereo Socket - 3.5mm Stereo Plug Right Angle - Jaycar Electronics

Larry Stephens March 10th, 2013 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info!
Larry