Still unavailable - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old December 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Still unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Newland View Post
That would be because the Aussie Master Wholesaler has now just received large stocks into their warehouse and distribution to retailers will be done over the next 2 weeks. Accessories have already been dispatched, except spare batteries.
Asked a to be notified in November by supplier when stock in, on their site stock December. Got email last week at 10.00am got onto their site payed for camera at 10.30am got another email back reply order being processed then received another email 20 minutes later that my order was on back order supply January. I rang supplier in Victoria ( I'm in Newcastle) to see why I got email saying have stock and click here to buy, the person informed me supply hopefully January, he only received 2 only to supply back orders so first in got supplied. This is a large supplier should have tried smaller shops one of my friends walked into a local jb hi fi and got it with in a week. Just hope order filled by mid January.
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Major Player

Guess it must be different around the world.

I just walked out of Best Buy in Alabama USA and they had 2 Hero 3 Blacks and 5 Hero 3 Silvers.

They've had them in stock for several weeks now... since the first of December.
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Just to update...I did get another email from B&H a few days ago where they announced the Hero 3 Black was now in stock. Seemed to suggest it could disappear again but for now, they've got it.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:17 AM   #19
Major Player

In the week leading up to Xmas jb hifi had stock come and go. My last Friday at work I wandered down and they had 5 on the stand (none the previous day). While I watched they sold 3. I hung about and watched and they let the stock sell out, then brought out 4 more. Last thing that afternoon I saw them take the stand out the back again as they'd sold out. With the way the stock kept mysteriously coming and going in the two weeks up to Xmas it almost felt like a deliberate strategy to increase demand (and hype). Maybe I'm looking for a conspiracy but it just felt fishy.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Major Player

Re: Still unavailable??

I went ahead and ordered a Hero 3 from B&H even tho' their web site says it's a 7-14 delay before shipping can be expected. There was a similar delay on some of the accessories (like the Chest Harness).
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #21
Major Player

I have recently decided to buy a GoPro 3 Black, but when I checked out Amazon half of the reviews (recent) were terrible. Sounds like firmware issues (camera freezing and such).

Is this discouraging anyone from purchasing right now? Or is there some simple solution?
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #22
Major Player

Dave, it's a very small percentage, as usual people post mainly negative stuff when things don't go right and most of it is user related. With the hysteria surrounding these new hi tech cameras, many first time wearable camera owners are buying on impulse from box Retailers and expecting easy street. Many don't read the manual, buy cheap non recommended recording media and expect to playback and edit on net books and 3 year old computer hardware.

The Black is an extremely feature rich camera crammed into a tiny package, there is a certain level of research to do before the average person can be comfortable with the camera. Most should probably stick with their smartphone video. Sure GoPro could have done more to explain the use of the Black, but there are other much simpler POV cameras to pick from.

The latest FW is stable, no issues, fixes an occasional freezing bug and the first batch of batteries were faulty ( very small number of first preorder units)

This post is my experience as the ADMIN of the largest GoPro user forum on the net (established 2008)

BTW, our forum has had a restructure and is now mostly focused on Creative Use which was the reason the forum was started. Support/Troubleshooting is still available ( and easier to find answers) for those that prefer info before contacting GoPro Support.
R
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Ian. That's really helpful to know.

From what I've seen on youtube/vimeo/etc it's a really powerful little camera, and capable of some very nice images.

How well do you think it cuts with say GH2 1080 footage (if the GoPro were used for time-lapse/slowed down footage, as well as POV stuff)?
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:18 AM   #24
Major Player

I saw the GoPro 3 Black available in B&H. I have been buying from them for a long long time and hence I would like to order from there. I saw there are some extra accessories in Go Pro site which is not there in B&H. Any idea which accessories work well, so that I can order?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:40 AM   #25
Major Player

I got their LCD touch screen, altho' it's not as touch-sensitive as I'd like. (Try getting the volume controls to work, for example.)
I wish they would have put a 1/4" thread mount on the bottom of the camera itself. But they didn't. Which means you then have no choice but to buy the frame and all the extra do-dads that come along with that. It could have been so much simpler.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Lynne I purchased a 3 mtr HDMI to HDMI D cable from eBay which connects to my 7" lilliput monitor $5.88 including freight and also managed to get tripod adaptor for $10.00 including freight and its aluminium not plastic both good quality, mounted the gopro on 2.9mtr light stand connected cable to lilliput monitor and can see exactly what I am shooting over.
Mark Owens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems