GoPro Hero3 Black Frame size at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Trustee

GoPro Hero3 Black Frame size

When changing from wide to medium to narrow, is it just a digital zoom? When using the GoPro Hero3 Black edition camera as a lock-down camera, is the resolution reduced when this setting is changed? If it is a digital zoom, it is the same as cropping when editing. I assume that since the camera uses a simple fixed lens that it is a digital zoom when this setting is changed. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GoPro Hero3 Black Frame size

This is the best explanation I have seen:
Understanding Your New GoPro
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, that is very helpful. I am going to do some comparitive testing to see the differences. I am interested in comparing 2.7K footage that is cropped when editing versus shooting at 1080 at medium or narrow framing.

Last edited by Jim Snow; March 30th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That is a VERY helpful link... should come with the camera.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
This is the best explanation I have seen:
Understanding Your New GoPro
Thanks for that link Mike! Very handy indeed...
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My biggest question is why can't there be a manual exposure/gain setting on this camera?? How can serious work be done with an auto iris/gain is jumping the levels all over the place. I want to use this camera on a UAV for a night shot descending towards the ground. There will be night lit houses, street lights etc. I want to see a dark, noiseless as possible city scape as our POV dives out of the clouds. I hope to shoot it at 4K 15fps and ramp the speed up to 24fps and beyond for effect (edit) IN post. What I read though is that there's an auto gain which will try to lighten up the image and cause unnecessary noise. I don't need a brightly lit shot just a relatively clean image for a 4K finish. It's a short horror film shot on Epic.

If anyone has a workaround please let me know. thanks
Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kelly View Post
My biggest question is why can't there be a manual exposure/gain setting on this camera?? How can serious work be done with an auto iris/gain is jumping the levels all over the place. I want to use this camera on a UAV for a night shot descending towards the ground. There will be night lit houses, street lights etc. I want to see a dark, noiseless as possible city scape as our POV dives out of the clouds. I hope to shoot it at 4K 15fps and ramp the speed up to 24fps and beyond for effect (edit) IN post. What I read though is that there's an auto gain which will try to lighten up the image and cause unnecessary noise. I don't need a brightly lit shot just a relatively clean image for a 4K finish. It's a short horror film shot on Epic.

If anyone has a workaround please let me know. thanks
Larry
Rehoused HD3 Blk and modified Firmware

The groundbreaking Novo digital cinema camera, available exclusively at Radiant Images, is the perfect solution for cinematographers enamored by the capabilities of the GoPro Hero3 but frustrated by the Hero3’s cinematic limitations.

The Novo, developed and engineered by View Factor Studios in collaboration with Radiant Images, is a re-housed GoPro Hero3 that is even smaller in size and much more flexible and robust for cinematic purposes.

Key new enhancements include a C-mount lens system with back focus adjustment, which allows for extreme macro shooting, plus exposure control capabilities that open up a wide-range of artistic possibilities for cinematographers and camera operators. An internal CPU interfaced to the camera allows users to enable/disable the auto exposure as well as provide digital zoom for checking critical focus.

The lightweight aluminum housing itself is 20% thinner than the GoPro Hero3 and includes five 1/4-20 mounting points. Buttons on the front are assignable to several functions depending on the application.

And the Novo offers these added features while retaining the key functionality and accessories of the GoPro Hero3, such as the LCD touch screen, power backpack and WiFi connectivity for wireless camera control.

The Novo addresses the needs of cinematographers without compromising the power and versatility of the most advanced GoPro ever.

Like the GoPro Hero3: Black Edition, the Novo is capable of capturing cinema-quality video at 2X the resolution and 2X the frame-rate of previous models while delivering 2X better low light performance – 1440p 48fps, 1080p 60 fps and 720p 120 fps video and 12MP photos at a rate of 30 photos per second, plus the ultra-high resolution 2.7KP-30 fps and 4KP-15 fps video modes.

Radiant Images offers rental packages that include the Novo, custom geared C-Mount lenses and all the required accessories.

Sensor Size Back-illuninated CMOS Sensor 1/2.5" 7.81mm Diag
12.40 Megapixel
Resolution 4K, 2.7K, 1080
Frame Rate
4K Cin 4096x2160 / 12fps
4K 3840x2160 /15fps
2,7K Cin 2704x1440 / 24 & 25fps
1440p 1920x1440 / 24, 25, 30 & 48fps,
1080p 1920x1080 / 24, 25, 30, 48, 50 & 60fps
960p 1280x960 / 100fps
720p 1280x720 / 120fps
WVGA 848x480 / 240fps
Base ISO 640
Latitude 8 Stops
Bit Rate / Format / Time
MPEG-4-AVC/H.264

Hero3
Thickness .83in
Width 2.3in
Height 1.6in
Weight 2.7oz
Novo
Thickness .5in
Width 2.47in
Height 1.85in
Weight 3.2oz

Contact radiant images, they have hacked the FW of the GoPro camera for exposure lock.
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro Hero3 Black Frame size-image.jpg  
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian, I've seen this rig before, the problem is it's only available as a rental, will likely cost more than the camera it's self just to rent, and I am very reluctant to put it on a UAV and risk it being damaged. The fact that the firmware can be hacked by a third party indicates that it should be very possible for Go Pro to implement it themselves. I would think that having iris control or at least iris lock would be a no brainer. Hope they are listening.

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kelly View Post
My biggest question is why can't there be a manual exposure/gain setting on this camera?? How can serious work be done with an auto iris/gain is jumping the levels all over the place.
Larry
Really? How serious can you expect to get for $350 in that size.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I really don't think it's much to ask. It should be just a firmware thing. They seem to be going after more serious shooters with high res and 24P capability, exposure control of some sort should be high on the list. The replay XD 1080 HD has the ability to completely control most settings including exposure. It's been out for two years I think.
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems