GoPro Hero 4 Black 4K Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 7th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Trustee

GoPro Hero 4 Black 4K Videos

Fall colors in 4K (Protune color, wide):

Cloud time-lapse in 4K, cropped from 4:3 12MP stills (Protune color, wide, fixed WB):

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GoPro Hero 4 Black 4K Videos

Can you enable download of the original files on vimeo?
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sharp View Post
Can you enable download of the original files on vimeo?
Yes, and all my 4K posted videos can be downloaded (the 4K version), if you register with Vimeo (free).
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Protune color, wide.
Old October 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow, it's very sharp. I'm impressed. Thanks for the samples.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Trustee

4K Wide versus 4K Superview

Old October 9th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks for sharing all these clips Mark,
Are you liking the camera so far? The images seem very nice. Looking at your last series of clips comparing the different viewing angles, i notice there seems to me some vignetting on the top corners in the superwide mode. Also looks to be more CA on high contrast edges at the edges of the frame. What view would you think you are more likely to use?
Thanks,
Bryce
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Thank you for sharing these!

Looks like a worthy upgrade to my Hero2.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Thanks for sharing all these clips Mark,
Are you liking the camera so far? The images seem very nice. Looking at your last series of clips comparing the different viewing angles, i notice there seems to me some vignetting on the top corners in the superwide mode. Also looks to be more CA on high contrast edges at the edges of the frame. What view would you think you are more likely to use?
Thanks,
Bryce
I am pleasantly surprised by the quality (in 4K), and am learning the camera's quirks. I do see the slight vignetting in the Superview (I see it upper too). I do not think there is more CA - there is some CA in some shots, but I do not think that is a property of how much of the sensor is being read. On the other hand, it seems to me there is more detail in the Superview - the additional info is used well, evidently.

The upshot to me is that one can use either view and get good quality, in 4K, so the choice will depend on the type of shot.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #10
Inner Circle

If anyone says that 4K does not have advantages, even when viewed in 1080p, they are obvious blind :) I also find the detail remarkable for such a tiny box, how long can you record before the battery dies?
I never had a gopro but might get the black version now, I don't do any extreme sports, unless you would call walking down and up the stairs to my office several times a day some form of exercise, I do think I will find some use for this thing during the weddings I shoot. Most interested in it's widest angle setting and that seems pretty detailed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If anyone says that 4K does not have advantages, even when viewed in 1080p, they are obvious blind :) I also find the detail remarkable for such a tiny box, how long can you record before the battery dies?
I never had a gopro but might get the black version now, I don't do any extreme sports, unless you would call walking down and up the stairs to my office several times a day some form of exercise, I do think I will find some use for this thing during the weddings I shoot. Most interested in it's widest angle setting and that seems pretty detailed.
I agree, Noa, that 4K video quality is obvious no matter how viewed. I have been trying to get that across to the GoPro community, who cannot understand the advantages of 4K (they think they need 4K viewers) and have actually not seen many examples of 4K video at all. "HD is fine," they say. I point out that they are not actually getting HD.

The specs say that you can continuously shoot 4K for 1 hour 5 minutes; 50 minutes with the LCD back. I have not tested this, as my shooting so far consists of short clips, with lcd back on, and lots of fiddling to try out things.

One nice thing about the removable lcd back is that you can frame the shot and set the parameters of the shot with it on, and then just take it off for the actual shooting, saving battery life (it just snaps in and out, no screws to turn). With the GoPro "frame" rather than the waterproof case (useful only for those who dive, surf, swim, and sail), you have access to all the ports, and can attach a stereo mic, a monitor (HDMI) and even headphones (to the lcd back only). There is also an ND filter you can press on.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Is there a lcd that snaps on? I read the black version was without lcd and that the lcd screen was only with the silver version, is that lcd screen a paid option? Recording time is more then fine, thx for that info.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Is there a lcd that snaps on? I read the black version was without lcd and that the lcd screen was only with the silver version, is that lcd screen a paid option? Recording time is more then fine, thx for that info.
Yes, it's tiny - adds little to size or weight, and costs US$79. I like the modular approach better.

One other point - there is Protune 'flat' mode, which enables color grading to one's liking (even a setting with no WB set by the camera). This better enables GoPro video clips to mix in with video from other cameras (like the AX100), which have a different color look. Apparently, many filmmakers and professional documentarians are mixing in GoPro shots. GoPro, the company, is simultaneously trying to appeal to surfer dudes and video and film pros. And lets not talk about drone flyers...
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Did you use some program to remove the "fisheye" look (I only noticed bent lines once)?

Also, what was causing the momentary "hiss" in the audio for a lot (but not all) the shots?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
Did you use some program to remove the "fisheye" look (I only noticed bent lines once)?

Also, what was causing the momentary "hiss" in the audio for a lot (but not all) the shots?
No processing - those are what the clips look like right out of the camera, wide and superview. The Hero 4 in 4K seems to have much less fisheye. You do not see the horizon bend when it moves from center, etc.

I will have to check about the hiss, I was not checking the audio carefully with headphones. Except in a few clips I turned the amplitude down to lower the wind noise (so it sounds like hiss).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems