Annoying curvature lines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old February 17th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Annoying curvature lines

Hello,

On many of the footage I see online I'm noticing a lot of curvature lines from the footage of the GoPro Hero4, Silver and Black. Recently somebody made a movie called Tangerine, with three Iphones. That made me though that the GoPro cams could be at least as good if not better than iphones. But I simply can't get over these curvature lines. I'm wondering if the GoPro can be used for fiction?

What does anybody think here?
Thanks
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Annoying curvature lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Hello,

On many of the footage I see online I'm noticing a lot of curvature lines from the footage of the GoPro Hero4, Silver and Black. Recently somebody made a movie called Tangerine, with three Iphones. That made me though that the GoPro cams could be at least as good if not better than iphones. But I simply can't get over these curvature lines. I'm wondering if the GoPro can be used for fiction?

What does anybody think here?
Thanks
Here are some tips:

1. In shooting 4K, you can while shooting minimize curvature by avoiding straight-line objects and people at the edges *or* you can correct curvature in post (the GoPro software has a plug-in specifically for this). You can also use curvature (sparingly) purposely for creative effects. Fish-eye is a look.

2. In shooting 2.7K, you can choose 'Medium' POV (there is no choice of POV for 4K), which has minimal curvature.

Both resolutions are better than the iPhone, and you can even shoot 2.7K at 60fps for smooth motion or slo-mo. Or 24P if you want a film look for either resolution.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mark.
Avoiding straight-line objects is not really an option though.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Thanks Mark.
Avoiding straight-line objects is not really an option though.
Of course, but the point is to watch them *at the edge of the frame*. A lamp post will be perfectly straight at the center of the frame, but will be quite bent at the edge. So you watch carefully what you frame. Similarly for vista shots - if the horizon is in the middle it will be perfectly straight, but near the top or bottom of the frame it will be bent. So, you can minimize the distortion (and still shoot straight-line objects) by judicial framing.

Here is a 4K video shot without any correction, but with judicious framing to minimize curvature:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Trustee

Have you thought about modifying your Hero4 with an aftermarket rectilinear CCTV lens? Did mine for about $100. It's pretty sweet. No more curvy lamp posts.
Old February 18th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Have you thought about modifying your Hero4 with an aftermarket rectilinear CCTV lens? Did mine for about $100. It's pretty sweet. No more curvy lamp posts.
I did that, and found the image quality was maybe good enough for HD, but not for 4K. I went back to the normal GoPro lens.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Charles, which lens did you try out? The 5.4mm looks very sharp to my eye in 4k.
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Major Player

How about fixing it in software?
This plugin looks intriguing.

Fisheye Fixer for GoProŽ - Fisheye Correction FCPX plugin | CrumplePop

And this free one for FCPX:
http://alex4d.com/7-alex4d-wide-angle-fix-effect

I didn't realize GoPro also software in to fix it. Might have to look at one of these cameras.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Charles, which lens did you try out? The 5.4mm looks very sharp to my eye in 4k.
Glad to hear that. Yes, I tried the 5.4mm, and it was sharp in the center, but the sharpness dropped off drastically toward the both sides. Perhaps there is lens to lens variation, or maybe I had a poor installation. I had high hopes for 4K video, and if people continue to report good results I may try again in a year or so.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems