Experiences with M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses for GoPro Hero3 or Hero4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old March 10th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Experiences with M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses for GoPro Hero3 or Hero4

It appears I might be alone on the forum in modding my GoPro Hero3 Black to accept M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses. I will be using the Ribcage by Back-Bone (http://www.back-bone.ca/) so that I can easily change lenses. I saw this at NAB last year when I stumble upon a person showing the modded camera at the DJI booth. It was lust at first site!!! I couldn't bring myself to spend the $250 to do the mod but now that the price for the Hero3/3+ cameras is down to $149 plus shipping I decided to go for it.

What I have found is that there are only a handful of places where people have posted comments about non-GoPro lenses. I haven't found any comments on this forum but maybe I didn't use the right words.

For those not aware of the options, most lenses require some modification of the camera voiding any warranty. I chose the Ribcage option since it gives me the choice of using M12, CS-Mount, or C-Mount lenses.

Has anyone else replaced their existing GoPro lens? Any comments on the experience?

For those going to the 2015 NAB show who are interested in checking out alternative lenses, there are two stands to visit:
N6313 Back-Bone (http://www.back-bone.ca/)
SU13102 Peau Productions (GoPro Lenses : Peau Productions - Store)
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Experiences with M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses for GoPro Hero3 or Hero4

Hi Bill,

There are so many lenses to choose from one is spoilt for choice. I have been trialling a Back-bone modified GoPro specifically for close-up natural history work. As the camera is so small and light it makes positioning very much easier than for my EX3. I have tried several ‘C’ mount lenses either normally mounted or reverse mounted (for more extreme close-up). The lens shown on my test rig is a 25mm Edmunds Optics 59871 and the Lycosa portrait is taken with this lens. I have several other lenses to test including Switars and a Taylor-Hobson 25 mm Serital that appears to be sharper than the 5981. The ant head is done with the Serital (reverse mounted) on an extension - which I think was asking too much of this lens. The Serital is ~ 50 years old and would benefit from a clean. For wider angles and a greater depth of field I am trying a Cosmicar 8.5 mm f1.5 TV lens - usually with a 0.6 mm extension ring. Although I think my close-up results are useable I am not as happy with the results from more distant subjects.

As the list of options is so large I am hoping that some-one will me what I need, you seem to have the same problem.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/a...1&d=1426035688
Attached Thumbnails
Experiences with M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses for GoPro Hero3 or Hero4-_dsc0737.jpg   Experiences with M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses for GoPro Hero3 or Hero4-_.jpg  

Experiences with M12 or C/CS-Mount lenses for GoPro Hero3 or Hero4-_screen-shot-2015-03-11-11.44.57-am.jpg  
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting. You mention brands of lenses I have never heard of before. One of the best places I have found for a comprehensive list of lenses using the C or CS mount is RMA Electronics in Massachusetts: Machine Vision Lenses, CCTV Camera Lenses for Machine Vision, Factory Automation & Video Security

Their main focus is industrial use but I talked to the President, Ron Massa, Jr., about lenses for the GoPro and he is familiar with the camera.
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bill,

'C' mount lenses were popular on the cheaper 16 mm film cameras and so were around for a long time before they were used on security and other TV cameras .

A quick check on eBay came up with 2547 'C' mount, 774 'CS" mount and 373 M12 lenses. Good luck - keep us posted.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
Hi Bill,

'C' mount lenses were popular on the cheaper 16 mm film cameras and so were around for a long time before they were used on security and other TV cameras .

A quick check on eBay came up with 2547 'C' mount, 774 'CS" mount and 373 M12 lenses. Good luck - keep us posted.
Alastria,

thanks for the tip!
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems