Need help with GL2 and VariZoom Flowpod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)

Old July 5th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Need help with GL2 and VariZoom Flowpod

I just bought a Flowpod to use with my Canon GL2. I am unable to get the darn thing set up with my camera. I have the balancing plate and clamp, and three weights. According to the instructions, I should hold the device (with camera attached) horizontal and let it swing down slowly. Well, even with no weights, it seems to swing down really fast and hard. It does keep the camera fairly steady, but there is too much of a "pendulum" action going on.

Is anyone else using the Flowpod with a GL2? If so, please let me know how many weights you are using, and where they are positioned. If you could include pictures, that would be great!
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't have a GL2, nor do I have a flowpod, but I do do a lot of operating with my homebuilt Steadicam. I'd recommend you shorten the flowpod. It's not meant to be used at it's full length in stabilizer mode. The pendulum effect just means it's too bottom heavy, which can also be caused by having the post too long. Then, once you've shortened it up, hold it by the handle and let it swing down, weight it so that the bottom will swing vertical in about 2 seconds. That should be good for a beginner op like you.

If you want any more help, just let me know, I check this forum as often as I can!
Tom Wills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)