Manfrotto 561BHDV vs 561BHDV-1 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 25th, 2020, 08:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Manfrotto 561BHDV vs 561BHDV-1 ?

Are there any differences between the 561BHDV and 561BHDV-1 video monopods other than the 561BHDV being the older model (I think) ?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking for a video monopod with fluid base and feet to use with an old 701HDV fluid head.

I have an 679B monopod, which I normally use with a 234RC tilt head and a 361 shoulder brace - great combination for static shots. I've tried it with the 701HDV head and, with the 361 braced against my chest, it is stable enough for small tilt/pan adjustments and zooming with a Libec ZC-LP LANC controller on the pan handle. For wider dynamic pans however the 361 brace gets in the way, and without the brace it's more difficult to hold steady. Also there's too much drag in the 701HDV's fluid pan and with no screws holes on the 679B top plate to secure it tends to unscrew the head when panning.

Manfrotto produced a fluid base with feet (MVA50A) that is compatible with the 679B and other monopods with a 20mm tube in the last section. Being able to attach and detach the base as needed, and for transportation, certainly has appeal. The MVA50A is still available, but it's quite pricey - 120 CAD plus tax/shipping from Manfrotto Canada:

https://www.manfrotto.com/ca-en/alum...nopods-mva50a/

If I'm patient I could probably pick up a used 561BHDV or 561BHDV-1 for around the same on EBay, possibly less without a head. As I understand though, the fluid base is permanently attached on these models and likewise the MVM500A that came after.

I know the base for the current XPRO series monopods is detachable and incorporates a 3D fluid cartridge ('FLUIDTECH') design in place of the older fluid pan cartridge and ball joint combination, that is supposed to 'facilitate smoother pans and tilts from a single connection point'. Also the base can be locked down vertically, which it can't with the older models. However, I checked one out in Lozeau, Montreal the other week and wasn't so impressed - when panning it felt like the drag was not uniform and with the base locked down there was still a fair amount of play. I've seen reviews also commenting that pans were smoother with the older cartridge design.

I suppose I could try attaching the 679b to one of those generic fluid bases available on EBay. However they are all designed for monopods that have a compatible (female) screw thread in the bottom section. People have used epoxy putty to permanently attach the monopod to the base:

I'd be more inclined to try setting a threaded coupling in the open end of the monopod tube so the base can be unscrewed, but epoxy putty hardens very quickly and you'd only get one shot at it. Either way, not sure I'd want to risk trashing the monopod in the process.

So I'm dithering between ponying up for a MVA50A base (new) or holding out with hopes of finding a good deal on a used 561BHDV, 561BHDV-1 or MVM500A (with or without fluid tilt head) preferably within Canada - as always, shipping/import duty weighs in to the cost of buying from the US. Hence my query about the differences, if any, between the 561BHDV and 561BHDV-1

I'd also welcome any comments from folks who have used the MVA50A base. Looks (from the parts diagram) like there is some cuff/wedge (? plastic) that tightens around the monopod tube when the top ring is screwed down - is it durable ?

https://www.manfrottospares.com/mva50a-parts.html

https://www.manfrottospares.com/pdfs...a-20141112.pdf

And are the feet the same size as those on the 561BHDV/561BHDV-1 ?

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 26th, 2020 at 05:23 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Manfrotto 561BHDV vs 561BHDV-1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
I suppose I could try attaching the 679b to one of those generic fluid bases available on EBay.
Just realized that those generic bases only have a ball joint - what looks like the fluid pan cartridge on the Manfrotto feet is purely a receptacle for screwing in the monopod:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Monopod-Thre...YAAOSwKZZcxozU

That wouldn't do for me.

Edit: Oh, according to this video that particular version does have fluid pan:

Might give it a try.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 27th, 2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old January 27th, 2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The ball at the base is for leveling the monopod not fluid panning. I've also used it to simulate small crane/dolly movement to lean toward the subject.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Pete. The guy in that video implies that that particular 'generic' base does have 'fluid pan', even when 'locked down' (@1 min into the video), which I took to mean that the (red) section (that the monopod tube fits into) does indeed function as a fluid pan cartridge, like the genuine Manfrotto feet. However, the item description on the EBay listing doesn't mention anything about 'fluid pan', so I wonder if that's really the case i.e. all movement is on the ball joint and locking it down simply restricts the movement to horizontal rotation - not true 'fluid pan'.
Old January 27th, 2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I pulled out my Sirui monopod and it has section that can be unlocked for fluid pans, but I've never used it. I prefer to do pans with the tripod head. I find the more moving parts on a monopod increases the chance you'll forget to tighten them and mess up a critical shot.

To each his own. Give it a try.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd prefer to pan with the head also, but there's too much drag on the 701HDV head fluid pan when fitted on the 679b monopod. On my old Bogen 3001 sticks it was great.

I'd be using it mostly for filming sports and need fluid panning. Thought about a Sirui P-204S, but I don't like twist leg locks. A sturdy three section monopod with two flip locks, like the 679b, works well for me. Plus I'd still want to use the 361 shoulder brace when I need to. On the 679b it folds down and locks parallel with the monopod tube when not in use - I'm not even sure that the hinge on the brace would clear the top plate on a Sirui.
Old January 28th, 2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
The guy in that video implies that that particular 'generic' base does have 'fluid pan', even when 'locked down' (@1 min into the video), which I took to mean that the (red) section (that the monopod tube fits into) does indeed function as a fluid pan cartridge, like the genuine Manfrotto feet. However, the item description on the EBay listing doesn't mention anything about 'fluid pan', so I wonder if that's really the case i.e. all movement is on the ball joint and locking it down simply restricts the movement to horizontal rotation - not true 'fluid pan'.
I asked that question on Amazon about a 'branded' (Andoer) version that looks identical to the generic base sold on EBay:

The red cup doesn't have a fluid pan - all movement is on the ball joint.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 28th, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)