Bogen / Manfrotto 561B monopod - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
You are correct, both monopods are the same.
So you can mount the 701RC head on the the 562.
But you will find that you will be spending more for the combo.
Also, the 702 head on it is modified so you can't pan with it only tilt.

And as for the base, it's fixed and can't be removed, and is not sold separately.
I can't use the 561 with my VX2000 because it is too top heavy so I wouldn't even try putting the EX1 on it. It is designed for lightweight little camcorders.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I can't use the 561 with my VX2000 because it is too top heavy so I wouldn't even try putting the EX1 on it. It is designed for lightweight little camcorders.

John
Sorry, really have to disagree with you there.
I use a Sony FX1 (much larger than the VX2100) with XLR box, shotgun mic, wireless receiver all mounted, and it is fine. I also will have a large Sony HVL-LBP LED light on it at times and it is still fine.

There are others in my area that use a Sony Z7 or EX1 on the 561B and they love it.

No offense, but if it's too top heavy for you, then there's something wrong with how you're operating it, or using a monopod isn't for you.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Well the Manfrotto catalogue states that the 561B will support 4kg so I'd have thought it OK for something like an EX1.

Has anyone tried an EX1 on a 560B?

On another matter, does anyone know if the 560, 561 and 562 share the same base? In particular, is the resistence from the fluid cartridge the same for each?

It's fairly obvious that the 561 and 562 are essentially the same monopod, except one has a 701 head while the other has the 357 QR plate.

The 560, on the other hand, is quite a bit smaller and weighs less than half as much as the 562. I'm interested to know if the base and fluid damping is the same as the larger models.
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #34
Major Player

I have the 561B and like it very much for quick shots. My lower joint isn't quite as tight as I'd like it and if I try to tighten the screws the nuts on the bottom turn (and can't be held due to being recessed in place). I don't know if they have made it this way to prevent overtightening or what. I'd like to be able to have a little more stability. Interesting that many of you feel the bottom is too tight.

All in all, I think its a wonderful piece for mobile work. For interviews I can have on camera fixed on a tripod and use the 561 to move around for some varied shots to in incorporate during post. It's a "hands on piece" so you won't get a rest. If you laugh, sneeze, cough... it's going to show on the camera.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; August 9th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I have the 561B and like it very much for quick shots. My lower joint isn't quite as tight as I'd like it and if I try to tighten the screws the nuts on the bottom turn (and can't be held due to being recessed in place). I don't know if they have made it this way to prevent overtightening or what. I'd like to be able to have a little more stability. Interesting that many of you feel the bottom is too tight.

All in all, I think its a wonderful piece for mobile work. For interviews I can have on camera fixed on a tripod and use the 561 to move around for some varied shots to in incorporate during post. It's a "hands on piece" so you won't get a rest. If you laugh, sneeze, cough... it's going to show on the camera.
This is why I hold me breath when I shoot.
I can hold my breath for 10 minutes at a time. Not!

All kidding aside, the 561B like any monopod is made for getting the shots where a tripod won't suffice. So while it's not meant for long stationary shots (which I can actually get with this monopod), it really comes in handy during a days shoot, where I need to be mobile

I would never attempt to leave a monopod standing with a camera on it, as it just won't give yo enough support to do so. Even my older Bogen monopod with the retractable springy feet, could be left alone if needed, but could tip way too easily if bumped by accident.

Not worth the risk for me.
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #36
Inner Circle

curiously,

do you think this no==monopod will support and xl2?? Was considering getting one for back packing.
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #37
Major Player

The 561 isn't exactly light weight @ 4.4 lbs. I use it with an XH-A1 and its rated to 8.8 lbs and should would work fine with a XL-2. You'll need to check with your exact configuration and calculate your weight. I imagine it would handle a bit more than 9 lbs without complaining; the small feet/legs are the weakest link.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Broken!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Leung View Post
I am ordering one this week at BH. Bogen / Manfrotto | 561B Fluid Video Monopod | 561B | B&H Photo

I know that it gets to 2m when fully extended. Does it work well at this height? I mean, can you still aim the camera effectively with the LCD?
I had mine for almost 2 months and used it in about 5 weddings. The lower part of the turning part broke off at the last ceremony... just seconds before the bride enters!

I am sure that many would like to see some close up shots of the parts and construction of the pan moving part. Here are some photos of the monopods: Manfrotto 561B - a set on Flickr

It looks like the upper part and lower part of the pan head are held by just one little taper screw inserted at the bottom of the lower part. I could not see any thread mark in the bottom hole of the upper part. I will need to send it back to Bogen for repair. What a waste of time.

Overall, my experience with the 561B has been neutral. While the extra length and the pan friction help in my filming, the friction is way too little for my XH-A1. You need to hold and turn the monopod at the post to feel the friction. If you use the pan bar, you don`t feel much friction at all and the panning will not be smooth. As the three short legs at the bottom do not really support the monopod from falling, it is there just to provide some gripping on the ground so that the panning will occur at the turning part, not at the bottom of the leg. Also, the whole thing with the head is not `light`.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #39
Major Player

Paul,

Can you take a look at the tensioning screw on the base of your unit (there are three silver screws next to the ball, one is marked for tensioning). Could you see if your tensioning screw can be tightened, or does the nut on the bottom end turn in the socket.

I'd like to set mine tighter, but the nut turns and there is no way to hold it. It may be a "safety" feature to keep the unit from over tightening. I'd like to get the base a little stiffer for my XH-A1 so it would be more stable.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Could you see if your tensioning screw can be tightened, or does the nut on the bottom end turn in the socket.
I also had mine tightened. May be yours is different from mine. As you can see in this photo IMG_0401 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!, there are flanges next to the nuts. So, the nuts don't turn. However, there is only so much you can tighten the screw. I tried filming with the camera self standing neutually balanced on the monopod. It worked but the camera bounce from one side to the other slightly.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #41
Major Player

After reading about this monopod, I had to try it. I bought it last month and loved playing with it - amazing monopod!

Once my new camera arrived, an EX3, I unpacked the monopod and put them together. My camera was too heavy and now I need to sell a brand new monopod! ARGHH!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-c...nopod-new.html

Oh, well. It is very nice, but made for cameras up to 8.8 lbs.
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #42
Major Player

i have a 561b, and one of the feet broke off. i am waiting for replacement bottom section since they are on backorder. How heavey is a loaded up EX3? this concerns me.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM   #43
Major Player

Hey guys

I am using it with a Z7 and i even got the camera balancing on it's own during church ( i still have my hand around the stick just incase

What i would love is a strap for the 561 just like you would get with a tripod
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:26 AM   #44
Major Player

Mine will balance my small HC3, but you'd have to really get the XH-A1 just right to balance it without holding (not that I would anyway). I must have the bottom joint tightened as much as possible because the nuts on the bottom turn within their socket. I'd like it about 25% tigher so I could lighten up on my grip to reduce the shakes.
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #45
New Boot

Can the 561B monopod support a canon XL-H1?
Freddie Hoekerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)