HD1000 fast motion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old October 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD1000 fast motion?

Does anyone have any FAST motion shot with this camera?

I'm still hunting for an HD car/bike mount POV camera.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Since it has a 720 60p mode, the motion should be better than most other camcorders in its class but your right, its better to see samples to make sure.
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It seems that I can't get my Xacti to keep up even with walking speed. It can keep up with the speed of movement of the zoom but above that it seems rather jerky.
http://vimeo.com/364734
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

HD1 on a mountain bike by Kaku Ito

Sorry. I should not venture my opinion so readily. Kaku Ito attatched his Xacti HD1 to his mountain bike and shot this video
http://xtream.ne.jp/kakugyo/affordab...9451DC235.html
with a crash at the end. Large and small versions are available. It was well reviewed and for a camera of that size, pretty smooth.
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Tim,

It shot pretty well, but only problem was that the exact reason the camera came off from the mount. The thread stripped on HD1.

Also,

I did some on board with HD1000, too. It actually performs a lot better than HD1. I will post the video when I can.
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dear Kaku

Oh, that is a shame about your HD1.

But please note it was not me that asked the question above or about the mount. I just helped to provide the answer.

I would be interested in seeing your HD1000 video footage though.

Oh, I see you have already edited your post.

Tim
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:24 AM   #7
Trustee

yeah, sorry that was David on the other thread.

I will post more when I have time. Especially the onboard on my bike.
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Trustee

Is this fast enough? I can probably do better now but I don't have HD1000 anymore.

http://www.onebikeguy.com/Kakugyo/HD...s/onboard.html

By the way, this one is originally 1080/60i.
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Takemoto View Post
It seems that I can't get my Xacti to keep up even with walking speed. It can keep up with the speed of movement of the zoom but above that it seems rather jerky.
http://vimeo.com/364734
I think that the reason for the apparently jerky motion is that you probably have the stabiliser switched on. This is attempting to compensate for camera motion but it reaches the limits of the spare parts of the CCD that it can use to accomplish this, goes back to the centre, and then starts all over again. The result is this sort of jerky motion.
It's best to switch the stabiliser off (which also improves the resolution) and use a Steadycam!!
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank you for the suggestion. But, I tried it with and without stabilisation ("A" - I hear that "B" is not recommended). I had the same idea. Maybe I was doing something else wrong.
I may try my steadicam replica but I think that the Xacti does not weigh enough for me to be able to balance it.
Kaku's posts prove however that certainly the HD1000 and also his earlier HD1 managed to work okay at speed. I guess that it is the light level - in good light even the HD1/HD2 can deal with speed.
Tim
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Trustee

My concept is to eliminate every secondary vibration. So mount the cam as tight as possible.
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #12
New Boot

Helmet Camera Option

I'm not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but I've been attaching my HD1a to my helmet for the past year when skateboarding. I think biomechanically, our bodies tend to smooth out any bumps in the road.

Here's a link from a warm up run I took before a contest one weekend. It turned out much better than the footage from the pro camera crews that Red Bull sent out to film the event.
http://www.asiacastaway.com/2007/07/...giant-sla.html

The only problem I've found with using a helmet camera is that your neck feels like it's going to break if you use a full HD camera like the Canon XH-A1 and you look like more of a dope than you would if you were using a steadicam or fig rig.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #13
Regular Crew

That was scary. How many of those did you miss? I thought that the people towards the end got in your way.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #14
New Boot

Missed

Hi Timothy,

I think I missed about two. I usually attach the HD1a to the left side of my helmet. So the video doesn't seem centered (ie. It makes it look like I'm skipping a lot of cones). I've been trying to figure out how to attach the HD1a
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #15
New Boot

Missed

Hi Timothy,

I think I missed about two. I usually attach the HD1a to the left side of my helmet. So the video doesn't seem centered (ie. It makes it look like I'm skipping a lot of cones). I've been trying to figure out how to attach the HD1a to the center of my helmet without it looking like a mohawk on top of my helmet and without it getting blown all over the place by the wind.

My friend attached a Canon Ixus to the front of his helmet above his forehead and it seems to work really well at high speed.

John

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)