Sanyo HD2 Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old October 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD2 Help

So picked one up last night @ Circuit city, i had a gift certificate from work, and end up paying only 200 bucks outta my pocket, the rest was covered by the GC.

anyhow... camera is awesome, just a few quick questions though!

Here is a Sample Video of NYC in the AM.... taken today! (taken with a 4 ig DSHC class 6 card)

http://vimeo.com/363573

another link from Lunch time today 1PM NYC

http://vimeo.com/363755

i'm going to shoot @ my lunch break today maybe the streets, empire state building and post up, in what settings should i be shooting in? again, please help!

Has sanyo released a firmware update for the HD700

Last edited by David Tufino; October 30th, 2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: adding a link!
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tufino View Post
Right now i'm using a standard SD 2gig card, not sure is it's class 2 or not, (but the vids look somewhat grainy) do i need a class 2 or better memory card for the videos to come out "fresh"?
I am afraid that I think that the card does not make a difference to the amount of grain. Light does make a lot of difference to amount of grain. Hopefully your shots in your lunch break will be a lot better.

Quote:
i'm going to shoot @ my lunch break today maybe the streets, empire state building and post up, in what settings should i be shooting in? again, please help!
Cool. If I were you I would use HD. You can sill get about 20 minutes (? more?) to a 2GB SD card, which is quite a lot.

Quote:
Has sanyo released a firmware update for the HD700
I tried googling one but could not find one.

Last edited by Timothy Takemoto; October 30th, 2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Video uploaded @ Vimeo...

http://vimeo.com/363573

This is with a New class 6 DSHC card... looks 30 times better, but the upload made the vid look okay....

Let me know if i should mess aroud with the settings at all... this is out the box shooting!
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

So...you recon that the faster card improves the image? I have not heard of that happening.

it is very crisp anyway, for something that fits in your hand.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Takemoto View Post
So...you recon that the faster card improves the image? I have not heard of that happening.

it is very crisp anyway, for something that fits in your hand.
overall i'm happy, the video looks tons better with the new DSHC class 6 card, the videos look very grainy with the regular SD card, not sure why....

i will go out for lunch and test it again where there is more light out, and more people....

i only ended up paying 200 bucks for the thing because i had a gift certificate from work, so over all i am happy with the product!
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

This is in a more Lit area Lunch in NYC...

i felt like a creep filming this... lol

http://vimeo.com/363755

but the quality so far is great, i still thin ki need to mess around with the camera settings so that i can get that real great clear quality... can someone help out?
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It is like being in new York. The guy that you panned away from did not look all that pleased.

Quote:
but the quality so far is great, i still thin ki need to mess around with the camera settings so that i can get that real great clear quality... can someone help out?
I just use them as they come as default, changing only between SD and HD using the button under the LCD.

I am looking through the menus now.

The definition seems to be set to the highest it will go by defaul for videos. Looking at the second options menu, one has an option of reducing the HD to HQ from SHQ. SHQ is better I think. Either way it is (a nominal) 1280x720 pixels at 30 frames per second.

The still photographs can be increased in size however from the default of 7M-S (this time the S stands for Standard. there is also a 7M-H where the H probably stands for "High (quality)" since it has low compresion) to 10MB at 3680x2760 pixels. Wow. The Xacti is a pretty hot still camera. Not as good as a DSLR like the kiss/rebel but a lot better than my Casio p505 which also takes video.

There are some scene settings of sport, portrait, landscape-view, backlit, stars and by incandescent light, but I think I will stick with auto. The sport scene setting may enable the camera to take fast moving objects.

There is also Program, aperture and shutter priority and manual. I left it on program.

The antishake is off by default. I thought that perhaps the anti shake might be on by default and that it was the antishake causing problems when the camera moves, but I think that it is just that this camera is not good at taking moving footage. Unless someone knows better. I heard a rumour that the Sanyo may be using a chip (CCD?) originally designed for a still camera, with a lot of pixels but perhaps not as much speed??! Guessing.

The default sound settings have the woman talking (does she talk in English too) a shutter noise and a peep peep as one moves around the menus. I turned all the noises off.

I breiefly turned the autofocus from macro/portrait/mountains to portrait/mountains since I thought I did not want the camera to search for focus in the macro range under normal circumstances, but in fact the "macro" starts at 80cms and I often take portraits of myself at about 80cm (a slightly bent arms length). In other words the "macro" icon (the flower) is not really "macro" at all.

It seems like a good idea to move from the 9 point focus to the spot focus if I am going to be doing portraits, since I have noticed that there is a tendency for the camera to focus on the background especially when there are verticle lines in the background. The camera finds it easiest to focus upon verticle lines.

I tried turning on the anti-flicker but I have not seen a difference yet.

The manual is here
http://www.sanyo.de/produkte_daten/d...amera_en_E.pdf

I will take some Japanese university campus footage. Which is now here
http://vimeo.com/364734

Last edited by Timothy Takemoto; October 31st, 2007 at 08:00 AM. Reason: footage link, manual link, and a correction
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

There simply is no way that the write speed of the card would affect the noise on the image.
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
There simply is no way that the write speed of the card would affect the noise on the image.
Mike, the older class 1 or class 2 card i had the videos were horrid. I even thought something was wrong with the camera (i should have posted a quick video) but since i purchased the the DSHC Class 6 card the videos looks tons better, even indoors....

i learned that moving the camera created noise, so i got a tripod for 5 bucks @ radioshack! works great, will post a Holloween video Today!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)