Sanyo E2 (CA8) Quality dubious at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old October 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sanyo E2 (CA8) Quality dubious

I just purchased this cam online (many because I used my Airmiles to purchase it). Then after trying to find information on the cam I discovered that not too many people are happy with the image quality. Apparently changing to the 8 megapixel CMOS sensor was a bad choice on Sanyo's part.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the cam. Also it takes SDHC cards. Does it make a difference if the card is the Ultra fast variety or not?
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just got back from Mexico and used the E2 in situations you just could not take an ordinary video camera. I used it around a pool bar and got some great footage of people having a good time. I also took it up on a parasailing ride and again got some incredible footage from 350 feet in the air.
Although the image quality is not great it is a video camera that you'll perhaps use in unusual and unique locations. As with many powerful images sometimes it is the content of the image and not the quality of the image that makes an outstanding shot.

N.B. It's nice that Edius 5 imports the mp4 files directly to the the timeline....kudo's to Edius!
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Tourist

VPC-E2 Returned

Hi
I've had the CA6 (splash proof) and still own the HD700.
I bought the VPC-E2 from Costco.ca
It arrived promptly, I was anxious to see better video (higher bitrate recording) while paning due to moving the action shots I want to take.
Well...
1. Very noisy on the 60 fps setting, unless light is excellent.
2. Video stabilization does not seem to work at all.
3. Sound is tinny.
As if the video gain is set to high on the sensor.
For instance, ie living room with daylight coming through windows is very noisy video wise.
How every if the video recorded is High Quality at the slower bitrate, it is simular to the older cameras, less noise.
I email Sanyo Fisher and recieved an ambigious meaningless reply.
I wonder if my E2 was broke, but I just returned it.
BTW the E2 is relatively large, fatter than the HD700.
I did simultaneous comparison shots with HD700 and E2.
So I'll stay with the HD700 for now.
Good luck with the E2.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comparison. I believe Sanyo changed the sensor from a CCD to a CMOS between the CA6 and the E2, apparently to take advantage of lower power needs of a CMOS. However I have read and your post agrees with the fact the change resulted in a loss of video quality. I bought my E2 using Airmiles otherwise I may not of bought it (or returned it). I think Pentax and others make underwater camera that probably perform better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)