Sanyo HD1 footage! - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #241
Regular Crew

Filter Size

Here is a link where you can see somebody putting the wide angle lenses on the front of cam (at the 3/4 of the clip). It seems like the additional lense is pushed more than screewed and that its frame surrounds the original lenses.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/PdafrancePodcastVideo?m=56

Luc-Henri
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #242
Trustee

HD1 and 35mm adapter!

Okay so who wants to try the HD1 with a DYI 35mm adapter of some sort?

That's something I'd really like to see... the extra softening by the ground glass should ease the compression even more producing perhaps less artifacts! After down rezzing to SD or DVD the results might very well be quite amazing... we need to test this.

Joseph - I love your last set of tests, these images are comparable to the ones on the Japanese site I posted earlier.

(Now if I can just get my bloody directshow in AVIsynth working properly to play these MP4 files in Windows Media player or Virtual dub, I can try various tests and methods burning to DVD)

Last edited by Dennis Hingsberg; February 20th, 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #243
Inner Circle

Look form the HD adaptor threads in alternative imaging first, that should ease the learning curve.

Could I suggest? Posting some comment of what is found in each clip, and analysis, for future clips. Loading all the clips takes a long time and maxes out accounts (plus they keep stopping with errors).

Thanks

Wayne.
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #244
Major Player

OK, so maybe there are no threads after all. I guess that is a good way for Sanyo to make sure you buy their lens..
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #245
Major Player

Here are a couple of left to right pan clips at the metro station:

S 1/30 manual mode. I believe ND was on and A = f8:
www.gamersden.com/hd1test/panS30.MP4

A f6.8 manual mode. I believe ND was on and S = ?:
www.gamersden.com/hd1test/panA68.MP4

BTW you can not go higher then f6.8 in manual modes. In the beginning when then picture is pretty still the quality looks pretty much the same in both clips. The picture is much more blurred in 1/30 during movment. So, I think good quality and be achieved with either setting depending on what you need.
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #246
Major Player

What's the soft case like Joseph? Does it protect the cam?
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #247
Major Player

I have not used the case, but it it pretty firm (but not hard) and should provide good protection, unless you stand on it ;)
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #248
Trustee

Yeah maybe the next test can be a "drop" test to see how well the case performs! LOL

I know when Sanyo switched cases from the C4 to the C6 I was disappointed. The C4 had a hard case you could put the whole camera in. The C6 case looks more like a pistol holster.
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #249
Regular Crew

Panoramics

Joseph, this last clips are like school cases : the S (1/30) one shows what would be a "filage" effect, useful when you are tracking a subject moving in the same way than your panaramic does (the subject is sharp but not the background): thanks to your cam to allow that ! The second one A 6.8 is the stroboscopic effet related to shutter speed too high to give a feeling of movement.
If you want a good result for this panoramic : do it slower ! Or record the same clip a few times to test the good shutter speed (in this case, between 1/60 and 1/150 for me).
I like very much the color balance of this clips; IMO they look like Richard Estes paintings.
I think you will have a lot of pleasure whith this cam !

Luc-Henri

Last edited by Luc-Henri Barthelemy; February 20th, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #250
Regular Crew

Panoramics bis

The stroboscopic effet could be an artifact of my home notebook. Its a Powerbook 1.5 Ghz, maybe a little bit short for this kind of HD even with VLC. I will try tomorow with my office Powermac G5 2X2Ghz.

Luc-Henri

Last edited by Luc-Henri Barthelemy; February 20th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #251
Major Player

Joseph - thanks for the footage- I'm more hopeful we're gonna see some great things from these little jewels. Looks far better than dv to me.
ps- I too was having problems viewing until I tried vlc. Kurth
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #252
Major Player

Now, if only we could get a camcorder like this with a better CCD/CMOS x 3, and 25Mbps H.264. They can have a bunch of my money for that!
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #253
Trustee

Joseph - if it's not asking too much would you be able to get some footage of some people? Perhaps some head shots and some bust-up shots would be real interesting to see... just a thought.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #254
Trustee

Not sure what the buzz is about... this is a fun tech "toy" that maybe you can mount to a mini-plane or boom pole and get some fun shots with. This is not marketed to, nor begins to perform remotely close to anything professional or even pro-sumer.

I cant believe there is talk of lens adapters, filters, mini35mm etc. The resolution is nice but the compression is lossy and extremely noisy. Any motion causes it to look terrible. I have upconverted DV and it blows this out of the water, not sure what some of you are seeing when you say it is better than DV.

This camera is a neat, affordable, fun little camera that is a nice way to play around with HD on the cheap.

ash =o)
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #255
Trustee

I think we're doing the usual which is what most of us on this forum like to do - pushing and testing the limits of the consumer technology that gets put in the palm of our hands.

By the way, you're not suggesting that DV cameras like the XL2, DVX or PD's are more than prosumer are you? ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)