The beautiful, progressive flicker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Major Player

The beautiful, progressive flicker

I only shot a little bit of footage of my two children playing indoors at the window, was losing light, when my HD1 arrived today.

However, I was very happy. All this talk of this cam needing to be 'super-stable' and in 'controlled lighting' for us to reap the benefits is overblown.

What Sanyo were really saying and what David Pogue of the NY Times was blowing out of proportion was that you just need to be sensible with this camera.

Good handheld works extremely well. Looking at my children's faces, after looking at all that footage of parks and so on, I was struck by the fact that this is a progressive camera. The beautiful, progressive flicker is very identifiable on a progressive monitor like my 21" ultrascan computer monitor, and it's so much richer than interlaced!
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What Graham said goes double for viewing on HDTV. A lot of the "flaws" that we have been discussing these last few months are less evident on a good HDTV.

As I noted before, it is very reminiscent of the early days of 35mm; great portability and access to pictures not otherwise possible, but requiring some care to achieve quality.

The next question is how to get edited video onto the HDTV and in what format. I am exploring TViX, which a number of people seem to like.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #3
New Boot

Graham, do your HD1 clips exhibit the same weird directional artifacts as the ones posted by Joseph and others?
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I haven't seen it yet - but I'm sure I will because there haven't been any other HD1 clips without it.

I just got an e-mail back from Sanyo, after asking a couple of questions a week ago.

1. will there be a 25p model of this camera - or will all models be 30p?

2. will there ever be firmware updates for this camera - and where will they be available?

Dear Mr Graham,

In the attachment you will find the specifications of the camera VPCHD1 EX.

Regarding the firmware updates they will be available only for the Sanyo repair stations

With best regards
Electric Service Europe AG
Rémy Gugenberger
Technical Support

E-Mail : r.gugenberger@sanyo-service.com

The attachment was simply page 181 of the manual, which breaks down the cam's shooting modes! So I guess that's a definitive confirmation that there won't be a 25p HD1.

Or maybe they will release a standard defintion PD1, or something, like JVC did!
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks a lot Graham. I think I will stay clear of Sanyo and wait for other brands to market a similar product. These jaggies would turn me mad! :-)
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Update: I am getting the jaggies everyone else got.
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Few days later.

I've shot a little bit more footage with the camera and the penny is dropping.

The HD1 does not take well to subtle shifts in light.

This explains the whole 'you need a tripod and a sunny day' furore.

You don't need a tripod, you don't need a sunny day.

But now I accept that you do need consistency of light.
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Once more !

Emmanuel & Graham,

It's a pity, we where so close from a quite perfect pocket cam (for all your good reasons Graham) !
But this new clip suffers from the same worldwide hereditary disease:
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/assets/...vpc-hd1-19.mp4
The review:
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...l_movie_camera

We have to live with it's handicap (not me), or to wait for an improved new generation (?).
I am not sure that the incomming products from others brands will be better on a real world. For instance, have Samsung ever marketed a good flash cam ? Woo ! Don't you think I am depressed guys ? ;-)
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've always felt the proof was in the pudding, rather than the resolution chart. As noted elsewhere, you can't really judge this camera until you see the footage on a good HDTV.

I guess the question is where are you coming from? If you are comparing it to an HDV camera, you will be disappointed. In my case, I was not prepared to live with the size, weight and complexity of dealing with HDV.

In comparing the HD1 to the Sony DV I was using, I kept reshooting the DV equivalent shots because I thought I must be doing something wrong. I wasn't; the HD1 just looks that much better on the HDTV.

There are lots of other advantages. Portability, having a decent still camera in the same box, and not having to deal with tape. You can easily erase individual shots, very helpful since I tend to bump record buttons while walking along. Progressive also has other advantages I hadn't considered --
in taking shots in the living room, I discovered that I had recorded the TV -- no roll bars!
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #10
Major Player

The camera does have a sort of bittersweet feel to it, though.

But I agree with you Peter, the pros outweigh the cons!
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

My monitor is an accurate HD display, the faults are there, the closer you are (or the larger the display) the more obvious they are (be cautious of displays that blur (put sharpness to max), down res, filter correct the video, or have a different res than 720p, they all result in pixel blurring that hides the problems).

It is what it is, a consumer camera, it was a surprise that it performed better than expected, not that it was good.

It is better than 3Mb/s. Maybe it is better than a SD MiniDV camera, but in the end it is probably better than having no HD.
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #12
New Boot

Greenscreen test please

Request for anyone testing an HD1.
I persist with indie hopes for this HD1, I can go with
lights and a tripod, and I am wondering if the combo of
higher resolution than DV with progressive scan is going to make
greenscreen compositing work out better than in DV.

Could someone please shoot and post a short (~ 5 sec)
greenscreen test. This could be of a person in front of a
green sheet in overcast light to give even brightness on
the background. Or a toy doll or soft toy in
front of a piece of coloured card or paper (or a sheet).
Please setup if possible with some separation distance between the object/person and the background.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

without the ability to take a live feed off the camera how do you plan to do green screening ie you would have to "reencode" the video to accomplish this would you not ?

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #14
New Boot

Live feed not needed

> without the ability to take a live feed off the camera
> how do you plan to do green screening

Starts with shooting video normally with a green background behind the actors or other featured objects. "Do green screening" then happens later in the video editing software.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)