Rivals to the HD1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Rivals to the HD1

Has anyone heard what future Panasonic plans for its AV100? That seems to be about the closest competition to Sanyo at this point, assuming they have a high-def version in the works. (A photo of just such a beast was posted about a year ago at dvinfo but it was clearly a prototype.) Or what any other company is planning to do in truly pocket-sized HD camcorders?
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Samsung will have a new camcorder out this summer. http://www.crncanada.ca/content/digi...four-new.shtml

Ron Evans
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Saumsung's HDX-15 is twice the price of this Sanyo... and not expected to release for another 1/2 a year. I expect we will see a lot of advancements in that time. Might be a good option for someone that has existing equipment and can prolong purchase... but at this point it's little more than marketing hype. From what I've seen, no prototype has been reviewed by anyone.

I have heard from my Sony rep that Sony too is planning a solid-state camera... of course he's not the most reliable source. He's a salesperson. ;)
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Keep your eye on this one...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/even..._panasonic.php
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Major Player

This has a picture of the HD d-snap !!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...anasonic+av100
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Still Panasonic cam

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 could be a rival :
Unique cam able to shoot 16X9 stills (are you HDTV owners ?), with a 8,4 Mega pixel 16X9 native resolution, and Leica 28mm Wide angle. (Why HD1 does not allow at least 3:2 still ratio ?).
Able to shot 848X480 30 f/s movies stored on SD (up to 2G).
"The 16:9 widescreen mode is definitely unique to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1. Users can shoot video and watch it on their widescreen plasma television sets and not worry about losing information. At this point in digital imaging, the LX1’s 16:9 movie recording feature is perhaps the cheapest way to capture native 16:9 video. Currently, camcorders with native 16:9 chips are reserved for the upper portions of the market and generally run well over $5,000."
Extracted from this review (october 2005) :
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ra-Review-.htm
Movie sample :
http://img2.dpreview.com/reviews/LX1/P1020315.MOV
The cam has globaly the same HD1 size-weight and is less than 500$.
Luc-Henri
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The Lumix LX1 would be a fabulous rival, but it does have issues. The biggest concern is that the videos suffer from dramatic shifts in brightness. As I have read, this is a common complaint about the otherwise pleasing video.

It is good to see a native 16:9 video capability in this camera, but Panasonic will need to release a firmware upgrade of some sort to resolve the quality issues. And though I've owned two great Panasonics in the past, I learned of Panasonic's reluctancy to release any firmware improvements as a result of my purchases. It will be great if Panasonic steps up to the plate with this camera, but I suspect a future revision will be a more likely candidate to compete than the LX1.
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have been a fan of Panasonic still cameras, and own two. The thought of a native 16:9 format interested me because I view my pictures on an HDTV, but when I took test still shots with the camera, I was very disappointed with the results. The Panasonic FZ series have a 1920 X 1080 setting that looks terrific on the HDTV, as do the stills from the Sanyo HD1, even if cropped down to 1920 X 1080 and at medium compression.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)