Editing video saturation and color splines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing video saturation and color splines

Has anyone here found a good way to make our video match our stills? I'm finding that the stills I take indoors are more pleasing with respect to color, saturation, and contrast than the video is. Motion pictures seem oversaturated and a little on the dark side.

What I'd like to do is shoot a picture and then start videoing. My plan is to use the image as a reference for color-matching. Can this even be done?

Note: This is only an issue in lower light.
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Chris,

I agree with you on video image. If you read my "more findings" and "Even more findings", I have some thoughts on this.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm curious if we've made much progress on this issue. I've gotten to be a bit of a master at manual settings, but there are times when I just have to shoot as it is because I don't have the luxury of time. On these occasions, a video to still colour matching tool would be a tremendous asset.

I'm thinking back to the days when I imported my video by first setting the colour splines. I'd freeze frame and adjust each of the CMYK splines for the image, then hit import. When possible, I'd record a colour card at the start of my video; the import utility would use it to colour match and no adjustment to the splines was needed. Sure, I'd get some grain to the image, but the final result was still exceptional. Now, 7 years later, technology seems to have taken a step backwards on colour matching. Sure it's more automatic, but its also less calibrated.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I remember in the original Baby footage, I said that adjusting some hidden option in Windows Media player, made the picture much more natural looking and less saturated. I think I found an option that did this in vlan as well, but i can't find it again. Look up the thread and have a look. I believe that there might be some embedded profile in the files, that can be ignored for the more natural look.

I have seen quiet stunning stills from this camera, one Asian site had a closeup of a duck that simply looked amazing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)