A little software : MP42AVIEdit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A little software : MP42AVIEdit

Hello, like i promised in another post, here the little GUI i wrote quickly.
It's a front-end to ffmpeg and it allows you to batch convert MP4 files to some AVI formats.
Read the readme.txt for more detailed informations.

download :
http://moodub.free.fr/video/MP42AVIEdit_v0.1.zip

screenshot :
http://moodub.free.fr/video/mp42aviedit_screenshot.JPG

If you any questions, requests or bug reports, post them here :)
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Steve,

I did download this and played with it two days ago, but did not have a lot of luck. I never managed to get the AVI with full size to open and play,

More luck when unchecking the "do not recompress" then things worked better, at least I was able to do a little edit in LQ - its a start.. more to come. (smile) Im going to test it with full size files again tonight.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Like it's indicated in the readme, you need to install a HuffYUV codec to play with the HQ version that my tool generate. I choose this codec because it's a lossless codec, and is a good trade-off between size and speed. It's also a well known and robust codec.

LQ are just mpeg1 at 3Mbits and do not recompress just put the mp4 stream in an avi, so you'll need a mpeg 4 decompressor to play with it.

All the files are accepted by Adobe Premiere 6.0 on my comp and are perfectly handled here ;)

If anybody have some requests (about codec, options...), don't hesitate, ask.
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Steve,

Woops, you are actually thinking that people READ a file just because it say "READ ME" me very presumptious..! (smile)

I did go and found this link, will take it for a spin later tonight.

http://www.free-codecs.com/HuffYUV_download.htm

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Steve,

Finally got to play more with it. a couble of observations (after I did read the "read me" file)

I tried to reduce the work load by checking only the "low" box, interestingly enough it still say it is doing everything, this is if I don't select the codex on the advanced page. If I uncheck the "no recompression" then it seems to do only the low file..?

since the app in the folder is so light, I have been just dropping the entire directory into the folder with the files. mostly it works great. it would be nice if the app by default would show the folder it is in when opened.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Steve this sounds like a great little script. I just tried to run MP42AVIEdit.exe and got 'application failed to initialise properly'. I have uncompressed both programs to the same folder. I am on Windows XP Home, laptop.

OT - Is there any chance this script will be able to convert .mov files from a Panasonic Lumix FX01, 848x480 pixels or 640x480pixels 30 fps QuickTime Motion JPEG (motion pictures with audio), to AVI (or that you can suggest another script to do this), that would be very useful to me. I have Premiere Pro 1.5 and it does no seem to be able to import the files, funnily enough GoLive can import them, be good to be able to do totally basic editing (cut and add extra audio track). I do have a Sony Z1P but this is great for more family type informal situations and people react very differently to a tiny digital camera than to a camcorder.

Andrew Hall
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

ok got it, needed to install quicktime to make Premiere handle .mov, so no problems with the Lumix movies, but I wonder why your software did not work?

Andrew
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry for the late reply, i wasn't really around :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
I tried to reduce the work load by checking only the "low" box, interestingly enough it still say it is doing everything, this is if I don't select the codex on the advanced page. If I uncheck the "no recompression" then it seems to do only the low file..?
? i don't understand. If you just want the low version, check only the low checkbox. If it's doing something else, then it's a bug, i'll investigate, thanks :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
since the app in the folder is so light, I have been just dropping the entire directory into the folder with the files. mostly it works great. it would be nice if the app by default would show the folder it is in when opened.
Hm, nice idea and not hard to implement, i'll add it.

@Andrew : do you have installed the .NET framework (linked somewhere in the readme) ? It should tell you that you don't have it, but i had a comp that crashed like you said so that must be it.

For the mov files, well if ffmpeg handle it why not, but it was not the main goal, and i don't want this software to became a gaz turbine that do coffe too. I'm pretty sure there is other softwares that handle .mov file ;)
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Steve,

Great to see you back :-)

So far the app is working great, I have one reliable bug, if I select everything in a folder, say 20 files, it is 100% sure to crash, however if I do less than 5 at a time things work mostly well. so I simply do the folder in multible steps.

Yes by all means, the ability to work out of the folder its dropped into would be great, simply making this folder the default directory, it would save lots of browsing time. Alternately the ability to set a default directory such as "my video" (smile)

But yes I agree, the beauty of this app is that it focuses on doing ONE thing. (smile)

Bo
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Regular Crew

only 5 ? strange, i tested with a lot more, like 15 and didn't have problems (but that just remembering me that i've an hardcoded limit and that's bad)

For the default directory... well i would need to store that info somewhere, like in the registry or in a file somewhere and i don't like that (well, don't you hate when softwares put things everywhere and don't remove them correctly ?).
And i'm lazzy too :D
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Steven,

Personally I like having it default to whatever directory it is in better, as its a easy way to drop it into a directory and start working on those files.

I also strongly dislike software which drops files everywhere... such as Sony putting little help files in the same directory as the source files used in Vegas, in my mind this information should all be contained in the project file... but thats not how Sony sees the world.

Bo
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok, here is your long awaited update (marf :D). Sorry for the delay, i didn't have much the time to upload it.

http://moodub.free.fr/video/MP42AVIEdit_v0.2.zip

now trying to update the first post...
[edit] i don't see any edit button, wtf ??? i just saw a typo in the first post too :([/edit]
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Steven,

The Download says v0.2 but the app inside says v0.1 ;-)

Bo
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Oh yeah ? shit, that's not automated, just forgot about it ... Well i'll do a silent update ;)
thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)