Crash cam video (not planned) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Crash cam video (not planned)

Here is my experiment of HD1 mounted on my donwhill bike.
You can see how it performs under a lot of vibration and moderate speed (at this point the video was shot, I already dropped HD1 a couple of times, so I could not go any faster). This cam is sturdy but the mount is plastic and it won't hold for this much vibration.

Here's the link.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Seems to handle the vibration quite well. Thanks for the video
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Trustee

surprisingly, yes. Too bad about the mount tho. I will take the photo and post it to show you people how it's gotten stripped.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

My Quick time won't even play it, all I get is audio, and Quicklime says it needs components that are not on QT site. What should I do?

It would be useful if I could save the file, as it is likely to disappear when I close down and reboot, and I could then play it with Vlan.

Good to see you are enjoying this camera Kaku.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Trustee

You need QuickTime 7 because it is H.264.

As you mention before, this cam is perfect to take around as a second cam. I did have my hvx200 that day but I would never take it around to ride that would hinder my riding, but HD1, it would hardly hinder my riding.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You may find it helpful to find a piece of 8mm thickness aluminium plate or flatbar no smaller in area than the base of your camera, have somebody drll and tap some solid bolt holes into it, also a hole for the tripod mount on your camera.

Use the bolt holes to mount the plate firmly to your bicycle.

Get some car inner tube. Glue it to top surface of the aluminium. Make hole in it for the tripod mount hole.

Find some thick rubber bands or make some from motorcycle tyre inner tubes. Use these to strap over your camera after your have mounted it to the plate with the normal tripod bolt hole.

With the extra contact area between camera and plate and the inner tube to stop the camera from twisting on the plate, this should steady things up a little.

The best mounting point for the cam might be as close to centre point between the front and rear wheels as you can place it without risk of injuring yourself.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Trustee

Bob,

Thanks for your tips and sharing your ideas. I was going to strap the camera around, too but I could not find any appropriate bands that time and I was there for more enjoyment of riding. Now the plastic thread is totally wasted, I probably have to send it back to replace that part and then do what you are mentioning. My mount to the frame of the bike is good, it is made by Silk, and I will take photo of that to show it to you all here. Lighter than manfrotto. As far as rubber bands to wrap the cam, I have bicycle tubes :).

As far as mounting point, another addition of getting a good video is center of the bike in the vertical range, too. But the center of the bike is impossible because of its nature of the downhill ridings that you have to be pretty active in moving one's body back and forth, up and down.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

So much for auto updates, it just tells me that the clips need extra components it doesn't have, not that I needed to upgrade to QT7, which my machine needs to be reinstalled before I should do that. Unfortunately, I think I just accidentally deleted the cache version. Are there a direct address I can access from Vlan?

Maybe a close hugging underwater case wrapped in foam might help stop it getting damaged, is there any?
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #9
Trustee

i made a file download link in that post for you. Hope that works.

Little off the topic, but I used iWeb to make multiple websites in very short period of time and all of them includes video and still from HD1 and other cams.

http://web.mac.com/kakuito/iWeb/Kakugyo/
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Coool Clip, the camera really did great on the changing light on the way down. Too bad about the crash cam effect.. still it really prove that the camera is able to take some serious punishment.!

I wanted to attache it to a sailplane but gave up at first after seeing the plastic treads, but am right now making a "cradle" which lets you slide the camera in about halfway for support and then only use the tread to hold the camera in the cradle, the cradle itself supports the camera to prevent it from leaving.. but after reading Bob's suggestion Im thinking that maybe I should just make a one sided bracket with a piece of bungee cord to lock the camera in place.. unlike downhill racing gliders do not experince a lot of serious impacts (not if everything goes well ha Ha) maybe except for the vibrations at take off being dragged over the ground and also the time sliding after landing.. I will post a picture once I have it together. (along with some footage)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #11
Trustee

Bo, I did see your invention some time back and wanted to ask you.
Yes, the cradle thing would be better, but I might just mount it on my helmet with foam and bands. However, any reliable mount other than using the plastic mount would be better. I'm debating to send the cam back to sanyo to have the plastic mount replaced or not.
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The Samsung h264 17Mb/s 720p solid state camcorder is about to be release in August, so their should be some advanced versions available for testing? Will you be reviewing it?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58261

Thanks

Wayne.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #13
Trustee

I've been looking into that Samsung because it is H.264 based. I will ask the editor if I will be able to put my hands on it.
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks

If it actually turns out to have good picture performance, it would have been good, but now Panasonic and Sony with their similar h264 AVCHD camera codec has muddied the water. Meaning it might make us wait to see their models with 1080 as well (Panasonic may release one by the end of the year, Sony, I think, might be a lot closer, as they have a number of new models expected). For you I think their will be a lot more new bike cam.

I wonder if Sanyo will have a better model to compete.
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Kaku, that's some nice footage.

Hard to believe the Sanyo performed so well.

Is that a Z1 or FX1 that I see in the picture used with a glidecam and steadyarm?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)