Bought bare HD1, what else do I really need? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Bought bare HD1, what else do I really need?

I just purchased a bare Sanyo HD1 camcorder off eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7627995450

I have also purchased a battery for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7626948019

Right now, I have a Sanyo-Fisher FVD-C1 with all accessories. The question is, What do I really still need to buy?

The FVD-C1's standard accessories include a docking station, a charger/AC adapter, an adapter cube (usable instead of dock), etc. Can any of these be used with the HD1?

From the manuals of the VPC-HD1 and FVD-C1, it appears that the VPC-HD1 uses a 5V AC adapter, whereas the FVD-C1 uses a 4.7V adapter. I'm hoping that the slight voltage boost is merely to charge the higher-capacity battery a little faster, but that the C1's 4.7V adapter should work on the HD1, just a little slower (at charging the battery). Does that sound right?

The more important issue is whether I can reuse the C1's adapter cube and/or dock on the HD1. Is the HD1's multipurpose connector (to which one attaches the dock or adapter cube) the same (except for component video capability) as the C1's?
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #2
New Boot

I also just got my HD1. The first thing I got was a small tripod, that fits in my pocket. It is really needed to get good footage. The second is a 4 GB sd-card. The 1 gig that came with the camera is just not large enough if you record with the best quality. Thirdly, Ulead Videostudio 10+, to be able to edit mp4 files. The software bundle with camera doesn't cover that.

BR Per-Arne, Stockholm
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #3
New Boot

I also realize that some kind of external microphone would be useful. It's hard to get good sound from people talking. Anyone got some advice on this?
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Per-Arne,

I have had good results with this microphone, its a little stereo mic.

http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=10205

Enjoy.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the tip Bo. I'm no expert on microphone's but I feel that the mic must get closer to the subject to produce good recordings of talking etc.

Isn't there some kind of wireless mic that can be attached to the subject?
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hello Per-Arne,

Well if you do a quick websearch on google for wireless camcorder mic you will find a bunch of systems, there are several using a clip mic with a 9v battery - no matter what you do, you are going to end up with a receiver on the camera, most have a mounting tread or a acessory foot for mounting. its kind of a hassle with the HD1. alternatively I have screwed a shockmount for a senheiser mic into the HD1's mounting tread and let the mic stick out under the camera for great voice capture... at least as great as one would expect from a handheld combo. :-)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #7
New Boot

You are right, wireless will be too much of a hazzle. We must find a suitable unidirectional mic, nice and small. But how much better can this kind of mic be compared to the built in mic? I will look around, maybe Sanyo got something.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)