Direct transfer to iPod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 14th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Direct transfer to iPod

***** guys im new here I have a couple ?s about Camera.
1.Has any tried to transfer movies directly(no PC)to IPOD and use it as a storage device for movies? if so how to do that.
2.what am i doing wrong? my movies doesn't look like HD at all here is link :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWF6m6fdKwA
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

YouTube is low-bandwith... you don't seriously expect it to deliver HD...?

you will need to play the video file on your computer with a screen at least 1280 pixels wide to actually show all the resolution.

No I have not tried to dump a 2 gig memory card to my iPod, but Im sure there is a cardreader for this purpose somwhere. ;-)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think Belkin has just the accessory for that purpose. That is a card reader without a pc for ipod
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #4
Major Player

The latest iPod will not play the HD files - even if you manage to transfer them.

It will play one of the HD1's much lower res formats, can't remember which one but it is either the lowest quality or nearly the lowest quality format that the camera is capable of.

Also, VLC player is the best way to watch your footage on a PC - it's free to download and contains no spyware.
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #5
New Boot

iPod and HD1

While it won't play the HD files, I can confirm that the iPod does download all the video and picture files from the HD1. Once you connect the iPod with your computer, iPhoto will download them all for you. You can then drop them into iMovie, etc.
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Guys Will this camera connector work with our camera Xacti HD1?
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=M9861G%2FA

It lists two Sanyo cameras as compatble Sanyo VPC-C5 and Xacti E6?
does anyone knows if those cameras has same cable as Xasti hd?

Thank you
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #7
New Boot

Yup, that's the one

That's the very one I used with my HD1 and 30GB iPod Video. Works perfectly. Here's what I did:

1. Pluggged the USB cable that came with the HD1 into that Apple iPod adaptor, and then plugged the adaptor into the bottom of the iPod (it'll turn on and automatically switch to the Import screen)
2. Connected the USB cable to the HD1 via the small black travel adaptor
3. Powered on the HD1 in playback mode
4. Selected the first option that showed up on the LCD screen (can't remember what it was called- Card something or other?)
5. The iPod immediately recognized the HD1 and gave me the option to import everything on it- I just had to press the center select button on the iPod
6. It then proceeded to import everything on it
7. I believe you then have the option of deleting the HD1's SD card from the iPod, but I elected to do that from the camera itself, feeling that would be the safer option

It takes a while to unload everything from the HD1 onto the iPod. Photos can be viewed right away on the iPod. I've only recorded HD content, and that won't be viewable on the iPod- not sure if SD footage is viewable (maybe only in the lowest resolution). Instead it'll show up an icon with a music note on it. No worries though, because once you plug the iPod back into your computer you'll have two options of getting it off the iPod:

1. Use iPhoto
2. Make sure you've enabled disk drive mode on your iPod. You can then browse the iPod like any other drive and find all your files nested a few folders down (it's pretty obvious which folder- DCIM I believe)

I used it over the July 4th holiday to offload my HD1 HD footage, doing so every night. I imported it into my Mac, and everything works flawlessly!
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Wow, sounds great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)