HD1 Defective Rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old July 31st, 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
New Boot

HD1 Defective Rate

I am planning to buy a VPC-HD1. Even the HD1's video quality is only average, I don't see another camcorder better than HD1 and as small as it.

However, there are many people reporting the split screen and blank LCD problems. How many good HD1 units are out there? I know people with good HD1s will not make a post and say my HD1 is working fine. So, we often see more bad news in the forum than good news.

Can we have a poll to see the defective rate?
1) Not problem at all
2) Split Screen problem
3) Blank LCD problem
4) Other problem

Please count the defective ones you returned to the store.
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry but no, I will not conduct such a poll. It wouldn't be anywhere near accurate. It would not serve as any kind of indication as to what your own experience will be. People who have problems tend to hang out on the net; people who don't have problems just use it and tend not to report. Just buy it from a reputable dealer; test it right away and if you have problems then return it within the allowed time window. It's a fairly simple process.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
New Boot

Two defective HD1's

here's my experience:

1st hd1 order from amazon was sent back because it had a material defect upon arrival.

the hd1 that was sent as a replacement frooze up while in record mode. i.e. it would not record video and none of the buttons would respond to pressing.

sent that one back as well for a full refund. i'd rather not do the "third time's a charm" dance.

at this point, i'm saving my money up for the upcoming panasonic avchd unit. its form factor should be similar to the hd1 but it will likely have 3ccds plus other goodies.

bad sanyo. bad.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

May be the new HD1a is only intented to fix (some) bugs.
Has some one some experience of this ?
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Carlos -- Although I have had very good luck with the Sanyo HD1, I think my ideal would be the Panasonic SDR S100 updated with AVCHD. Do you know something we don't know, or are you also into wishful thinking?
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Jason - buy a HD1a.

I'm not saying it will be a perfect camera, far from it!

But it's quite likely that many of the glitches in the HD1 will have been tweaked or eliminated.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

New Batch?

I've just bought an HD1 from Pixmania: couldn't wait till October! It's come with a sticker on the box 'New! 3 Year warranty!'. So I've filled the form in at sanyo.de.

The serial number is 3950001 so it's possibly a new batch. As others have commented it's a pity that there seems to be no way of determining the firmware level: I've not carried out any truly scientific tests, but there are some jaggies visible on my experiments so far, which seem a bit more pronounced than those displayed in some of the clips on this site.
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #8
New Boot

I wish I could wait for the HD1a but I need one now (baby is due in 4 weeks). HD1 does seem to have a design or production problem. Chris is right that, people who have problems tend to hang out on the net. However, we have to admit that there are more HD1 problems reported than other camcorders in the market. The new Canon HV10 is a good alternative but it is not available until Sept.
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
New Boot

Peter:
I am not privy to any insider information but I'll bet two goose and a chicken that Panasonic's quality control and electronics design is several notches above Sanyo's.

Jason:
I would strongly recommend AGAINST the HD1 for video taping your newborn, unless you intend to place your precious in bright sunlight most of the time.

Speaking from experience (I have been videotaping my niece who is a toddler), the HD1 is close to unusable indoors. Since infants should be indoors most of the time, you will not be getting much usable footage from the HD1.

I would recommend you get one of the Sony/Canon standard def units. I have a Sony MiniDV unit and the results between the Sony versus the Sanyo indoors is night and day. The Sony wins hands down.

Don't be seduced by the small design of the HD1. This device is wrought with FLAWS and the output is not High Def. in most situations.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #10
New Boot

Carlos, thanks for your advices. I will get a SD camcorder for now then a Canon HV10 when it becomes available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)