Difference between stabilizer A and B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old August 25th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Tourist

Difference between stabilizer A and B

Hallo every body, I m new owner of that camera (SANYO xacti HD1) and I have many questions. Although my English is not good enough, I will try to express them!!! (eh, mmmm, not all, but to start with!!!! :))
a) What is the difference between the two modes of stabilizer A and B
b) Why you suggest turning stabilizer off? Is it because focusing (very slow), because exposure or else?
c) How to enable the flash mode “red-eye reduction”. I tried to push several times the button that open the flash gate, but it didn’t do anything to change the flash mode (so i have only two modes: no flash at all, with flash gate closed, and flash in every capture, with flash gate opened). So there is other way, or what I do wrong?
Thanks a lot…
Old August 26th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am not sure but I believe one is for video and one is for still pictures ? why they have seperate I have no idea. I could be totally off too :-)

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old August 26th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think the idea is that for stills, you actually need a different kind of image stabilisation where you're trying to compensate for one off camera shake on slow shutter speeds. But on movies, you're trying to reduce the longer timescale wandering due to body movement. You can see this effect in the viewfinder on the movie setting, but not quite the same way on the still setting.
The still setting does produce that odd additional frame round the picture, inside the margins of the photographed frame. I don't know what that's about!
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Giorgos,

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your HD1!

To answer b) First, I don't really like the way it works. It tries to make the image perfectly stable, then jumps to new position. Also, image quality and field of view are both reduced. I will use a tripod if I need telephoto.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)