First Sanyo HD1A Review. Impressive - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old September 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #16
Regular Crew

One thing I did with the clips, was convert them to SD. I still prefer SD due to it's ease of distribution (at this time), so I still like to shoot SD.

So, this cameras footage isn't amazing when viewed in HD. However I took it into After Effects on a 16.9 Standard Definition timeline. I manually scaled the size of the image down and rendered in SD with a good codec. The results are WOW. Downsized to SD this footage looks amazing (to me anyway), It has strong colours and its progressive video!

So, if anyone else likes the idea of using medium quality HD for great quality SD then I think this camera is a good choice, if just for the fact that its progressive.

PS. I might add that all clips look good exept the PoorGuy one. There seems a lot more compression artifacts in that one for some reason.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Given the cost of space and future benefits of HD resolutions, I record in HD and transcode when I'm giving copies out. Every recording I make is saved in its native format so I can pull the best quality out later. This serves a double purpose because if/when codecs of post processing helps the jaggies, I have something to work with.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I agree, the camera is lowish consumer quality, unless you are converting to SD. I do comparisons based on optimal setup that people might have in their homes. 19mb/s and a bit of thought would be enough to make this high end consumer and professional quality.

I still think, with a lot of post processing (and extra latitude), this could be made acceptable for professional production, but it would still probably look less than a good HD camera, just not with objectionable artifacts/noise and crawling.

Thanks for the clips.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I talked to a Sanyo product manager today, still no HD1a for my country planned, good reasons given. Leaves me with little enthusiasm. But, I asked about the HD2, and the guy said 6 months next model. I don't know where ever he was saying that he knew an actual HD2 would be coming in 6 months or that it is usual to expect future model releases every 6 months. Maybe I should have asked him details.

Anyway 6 months is a real long time, and this present camera needs a bigger brother (25fps, better latitude and 60db+ sensitivity, 1.4 aperture etc) and dropping the price of this one. You either buy it now, or don't buy it at all (still waiting for those $799 h264 cameras).

I suspect that the macro diagonal block might be hardwired into the custom ASIC they use, and we won't see it fixed until they run out of them. Lets see, those things are likely done in 100K or million batches, so it might be a while yet.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #20
New Boot

How do you convert the HD clips to SD? I use an Xacti C5 now and simply load the clips into a Panasonic DVD writer with hard drive. When I get enough clips I simply put in a blank DVD and copy selected clips from the hard drive.

Is it going to be more complicated to make DVDs from the HD1a? I assume they will be retained on the hard drive as HD but copied to the DVD as SD??

I anyone can shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it. I don't understand the concept of converting back and forth. Thanks
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #21
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brewton
How do you convert the HD clips to SD? I use an Xacti C5 now and simply load the clips into a Panasonic DVD writer with hard drive. When I get enough clips I simply put in a blank DVD and copy selected clips from the hard drive.

Is it going to be more complicated to make DVDs from the HD1a? I assume they will be retained on the hard drive as HD but copied to the DVD as SD??

I anyone can shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it. I don't understand the concept of converting back and forth. Thanks
I think you should use a video-editing program, like sony vegas, adobe premiere, etc. Then you could reencode it as you prefer (720p or SD).
Anyways you need a computer, as far as I know, you can't do it just putting HD1 clips into a stand-alone dvdwriter and then burn them as SD, like you're used to do with your C5.

Bye!
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
I suspect they have changed the interpolation method, I do not remember this level or anti aliasing, or this much low light ability.
I give it thumbs up for effort, Low light appears to be better, but because of aliasing (and we do not know the true lighting level in Think pad) I can not yet tell.
Is it a consensus that the HD1A's low-light capability is better than that of the HD1? Is it as good as that of the C6? I presume that the low-light capability of the CA6 is the same or better than that of the C6.
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #23
New Boot

According to specs, the CA6 actually improves low-light capability over the C6, at least in this sense: On the C6, the video light sensitivity of 3600 was only manual--the Auto setting only went as high as 1800. According to the specs of the CA6, its Auto video light sensitivity does now range as high as 3600 when necessary.

In contrast, the HD1 and HD1A seem to have the same video light sensitivity specs. Their Auto setting ranges only up to 800.
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Sanyo HD2, reviews and footage (improvements).

Lots of people have disappeared, so here is to reaching out to you:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83398
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87867

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)