HD1 - Am I missing something? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Tourist

HD1 - Am I missing something?

Hello,

I just got hold of an HD1 very cheaply and have been playing around with it for a week or so. I've shot various things in "HD" mode, both indoor with poor light (waste of time) and outdoor with plenty of light - but I have to say I'm rather concerned at the quality of the footage when playing it back - either via my PC as a file, or directly from the camera on my plasma through compenent inputs.

Essentially, what I see is lots of "jaggies". Not just on the diagonals (I'm aware of this glitch), but all over the place on the edges of colours.

Is this really HD (OK not HD in the true sense of the word, but in the sense of Sanyo's interpretation of what "HD" is) or am I missing something? It just seems like the resoluton on playback is absolutely shocking compared to my old MiniDV camcorder, on anything other than a smallish window on my PC. Going fullscreen on a 24" monitor on my PC makes the image quality very poor. And as for playback on a 42" plasma - I'm embarrassed to look at it!

It doesnt feel like anythng is actually wrong with the camera, but that my expectations were much higher. I'm aware of what an HD signal should look like (I have HD satellite and some HD DVDs). Granted I'm aware of the limitations of this little camcorder, and wasn't expecting stunning detail - just something better than I'm getting.

So what am I missing?

Thanks for reading.

T
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
New Boot

Did you compare your footage quality with some of the footages posted here as samples to see if there is a difference?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)