Sanyo HD2 HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sanyo HD2 HDMI

Well, the HD2's have been available on ebay for a few days now, anybody getting one?

Unfortunately, the manual says that HDMI is not available during record, as per last years component (and those pesky JVC HD1's).

But if anybody buys one, could we do an test to see if HDMI is available in any other mode than playback?

For instance, does it output when in still mode, or when it is not playing back or recording (much like a Normal camera does when turned on)? If so, is it an plain picture, or do we get icons and status on the screen?

If you have an true 720p resolution big HDTV, the last questions would be, is it true 720p in these modes, or is it 720p60 (some cameras are rated at 30p but output 60p) and is it compressed?

The manual thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89407

If only the upcoming Panasonic AVCHD-Intra camera had separate modes for balanced pictures that had the Canon HV10 and Sanyo HD look, but with very good low light capability, very low noise, and 50/60p. I wonder if Pana would release an low end 100mb/s 720p camera like this. NAB is only next month. We can only wait and see.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't understand all the fuss about HDMI. I have found that the Sanyo looks terrific on the HDTV when connected to component. For that matter, DVD and Cable look better on component than on HDMI (using a top Sony 60 inch HDTV). My HD2 should arrive tomorrow, so I'll see if HDMI makes it look any better.
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #3
New Boot

Xacti HD2 Display HDMI

Hi Wayne I have connected my HD2 to my High Def TV through the HDMI lead and the TV displays info-1280*720P@60Hz. The screen displays exactly the same info as the HD2 and you can use the remote control to access all the menus as if you were operating the HD2 from the camera playback controls. The HD2 only displays on playback not in camera or standby mode I hope this answers you question.

The quality of the video is stunning on a HDTV compared to my cannon MV10 although the camera has a sharp learning curve as I find high def requires a very steady hand or a tripod :~)
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for that. Sorry for taking so long to get back, my computer toasted last week, and my data and the backup drive now.

So, you are saying it is displaying back at 60 frames a second, and it doesn't display through HDMI to the TV unless you press the play button?

Peter, it may nto give much of an difference most of the time, but it is recordable through an hdmi adaptor, and if it had it maybe of better frame rate/qulity then recorded in camera.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:10 AM   #5
New Boot

Sanyo HD2 HDMI

Hi Wayne the Xacti HD2 displays only when switched to the play mode and also displays in stand-by play mode. The TV shows the same detail as the Xacti screen in standby play mode and you can access all the camera playback menus using the remote control i.e. rotate,resize,extract still,edit video,print inst,smooth playback,playback mode,slideshow,multi display,volume,protect,deleat and all basic setup menus. There is no TV display if you switch to record mode either in record standby or record display. The Xacti can be set up as a USB webcam so I can see no reason why Sanyo cannot program the Xacti to display via USB while recording.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)