How to edit HD mp4 files into a same quality lighter .avi or .wmv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 6th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to edit HD mp4 files into a same quality lighter .avi or .wmv

ok actually i know part of the answer...to do so i used MP4CAM2AVI and i can get my HD mp4 files into avi file that i can then edit with Windows Movie maker.

but the wrong thing is that the outputed .wmv file i will get with Movie maker would be far from the original HD (more into SD on the cheap side) even though (that's the good thing) it will be much ligher in size than the original HD file.

so i would like to know a way to go from un-edited heavy-sized HD file to an edited light good quality .wmv file.

I tried to choose the option ''DV-AVI'' in windows Movie maker but then the size it announces is 450 mo for a 2 minutes movie !!! so forget it !

i would like to obtain something more towards 60-70 mo for 3 minutes of near HD quality .wmv edited video

i have to add that my goal is not at all to burn those edited vacation videos on a DVD but to copy them on my Personnal video player (Archos) then watch on TV

the archos can read both .wmv and .avi files but cannot read files that exceeds 720 x 576

that's one of the reason i need to edit my original HD files.

im aware that going from 1280 x 720 to 720 x 576, i wont be in the HD world any more...but my goal is to loose the minimum of quality and still be able to read those files, after editing, inside my archos (which is a better model of ipod video if u wann know)

thank you all
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

ok while i was typing this message i found my own answer, but lets put it here in case it might interest others :

In Movie maker at the time of saving the movie after editing i go to ''save movie'' then the ''movie settings'' screen appears , i should have unchecked the default box ''best quality for playback on my computer'' then i had to choose ''other settings-high quality video large''.

this fully satify my needs : a light edited .wmv file (edit: well not so light 47 mo for 2 min), with near HD quality that i can read on my Archos !!!

now there is even more chance i buy the SANYO HD2 than the TX1 from canon which main disadvantage is the ratio 4gb SD CARD/13 minutes of HD video

plus the TX1 won't be available before weeks whereas teh HD2 is already there !

by the way does any of you have an idea if the canon could have a better video image stabilizer than the Sanyo...even a guess as i understand the CANON is not out yet.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There is a review of the Canon TX1 at:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ot_tx1-review/
(Including San Francisco shots.)

The Sanyo HD2 is out (I have one), but I haven't seen a review. It is definitely an improvement on the HD1. The HD1a is still available at deep discount -- under $400.
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Solmssen View Post
There is a review of the Canon TX1 at:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ot_tx1-review/
(Including San Francisco shots.)

The Sanyo HD2 is out (I have one), but I haven't seen a review. It is definitely an improvement on the HD1. The HD1a is still available at deep discount -- under $400.

Merci Peter, i m gonna check it out !
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

SO i have read the review of the TX1...i'm very surprised the reviewer never mentionned the Sanyo HD2 (or HD1) at any point...

he compared the TX1 with a lot of non HD cameras but never with HD2...Very strange given the Sanyo HD2 is the main competitor of the TX1 according to me,..
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

He has never reviewed a Sanyo camera as far as I can tell from his index, so he has no way to compare them. I offered him mine, but have had no response.
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

well even though his review is cool to read...but since he ignores the Sanyo models i dont see how accurate the review could be.

all in all he didn't give me the will to buy the TX1

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)