NewBlue Stabilizer question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > NewBlueFX plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

NewBlueFX plug-ins
Stabilzer, blends, effects and more for Mac & PC editors.

Old September 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Phung View Post
Today I download a trial version Vegas 10 platinum, just want to test out their bundled NewBlue stablized feature is awsome and easy to use.
Just to clarify things... the stabilizer bundled in Vegas Movie Studio is NOT the NewBlue stabilizer. It is based off of Mercalli.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

If anyone is interested, Mercalli recently released version 2 of their stabilizer ($200) and reports so far are very good.

Mercalli V2
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #18
Major Player

Take note Mecalli V2 does not work with any VMS versions. It only works with Vegas Pro.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Welp the Vegas Movie Studio Mercalli stabilizer worked great cept that it cropped my video down in size so about 20% of the outer frame was lost. I had to remove it. The NewBlue stabilizer seems to distort too much too. Course this probably is my inexperience with the features too....but I've only a limited amount of time to to get workable workflows down...
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Major Player

My test footage has lower 3rd and after destablized, the lower 3rd gone. So it is best not to have any text on it if you gonna destablized it. Add any texts afterward.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #21
Major Player

If it's any help to the contributers of this thread who have had bother with the stabilizer programme of VMS10 Platinum, they may be interested in my findings. I too found that the stabilized clip was very much magnified and couldn,t be used. I had used the selection of Intense analyze and thinking that this was the reason I tried again and selected Hand Held Camera analyze but it made no difference to the amount of magnification. I then noticed that before the selection began a notice asked me if I wanted to create a subclip. I accepted the offer and not only was the time taken to stabilize drastically reduced, the resultant magnification was unnoticable on the treated clip, and while the big shake wasn't completely gone, the treated clip was highly acceptable with almost 100% shake free.
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Roy,

<<create a subclip>>

Saw that but had no idea what that meant - did it create a new file? I've read and printed out the help files and they are just not very in depth.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #23
Major Player

Harry. The procedure I used was to place the clip to be stabilized on the timeline and then copy and paste it onto another track. Click onto the copy clip and select yes to making a sub clip, I chose the general analyze. When finished the stabilized subclip is automatically placed onto the project panel. From there you can drag in onto the timeline. You can of course just select the original clip without making a copy. I make a copy so that I can drag the stabilized copy onto the timeline next to the original and this way I can compare the two clips. You can then save the stabilized clip onto the hard drive and insert into your video when ready by cutting out the original clip and replacing it with the stabilized one. If you stabilize the original clip then no new clip is placed on the project panel but the original shot itself is stabilized. If you are not happy with the result of the stabilized original clip you can de-stablize it. I hope this may be of some help to you.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Roy,

I'll have to try that. So the subclip resulted in no magnification/cropping?
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #25
Major Player

Harry. There must of been some cropping because that's the way the stabilizer works, but it's not enough to be noticable. Make sure you do not select intense stabilization as that makes heavy magnification.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > NewBlueFX plug-ins